We share a last name, but we are not the same (703)

The vibrant colors of the rainbow flag flutter in the breeze as Maya Bishop navigates her way through the bustling crowd at the pride parade. Excitement pulses in the air, mingling with the sounds of laughter and music as people celebrate love and acceptance in all its forms.

Maya's heart swells with pride as she marches alongside her fellow firefighters, handing out Firefighter helmets to kids. But her joy is short-lived as she spots a familiar figure in the crowd—the last person she ever expected to see at a pride parade.

Mason, stands on the opposite side of the street, his face twisted in a scowl as he glares at the parade with contempt. Shouting with his fellow protesters. Maya's heart sinks as she locks eyes with him, a mixture of shock and disbelief washing over her. Mason makes his way over to her as Maya shakes her head.

MAYA:
Mason?

Ignoring the curious stares of the people around her, Maya pushes her way through the crowd, her heart pounding in her chest as she approaches her brother.

MASON:
Maya. What are you doing here?

Maya can feel the tension crackling in the air as she confronts her brother, his disapproving gaze burning into her.

MAYA:
I'm here with work and i am also queer, as you know, why would i not be here? I'm married to a woman, which you would know if you had any interest in my life. But more why are you here?

Mason's expression darkens, his fists clenching at his sides as he squares off against Maya.

MASON:
Well, I'm here because I believe in standing up for what's right. I'm here because I believe in defending traditional values and protecting our community from the influence of sin and corruption, especially kids. Have you seen the little girl? She will be so confused later, don't you know that?

Maya's blood boils at her brother's words, her fists clenched at her sides as she struggles to contain her anger.

MAYA:
You think this is about sin and corruption? You think love is something to be ashamed of? You have no idea what you're talking about, Mason. By the way i have a son, with my wife. And this girl you are talking about, is the most adorble...

Before Maya can respond, Mason lashes out, shoving her forcefully in the chest. Maya stumbles backward, caught off guard by her brother's sudden aggression.

MAYA:
Mason, stop

But it's too late. Mason punches Maya in the face. Tumbling backward, and she falls to the ground with a cry of pain. Instinctively, she throws out her hand to catch herself, but the force of the fall is too much, and she lands hard on the pavement.

Mason's eyes widen in shock as he realizes what he's done. Maya lies on the ground, clutching her throbbing hand and nursing a rapidly swelling black eye.

MAYA:
(through gritted teeth)
You... you broke my hand.

Maya's voice trembles with a mixture of pain and anger as she struggles to push herself up from the ground. Fear in her eyes. Mason stands frozen.

MASON:
Maya, I... I didn't mean to...

But Maya doesn't wait to hear his excuses. With tears in her eyes, she stumbles away from her brother, disappearing into the crowd as she wipes her eyes with her good hand and holds the trobbing already swelling one close to her chest.

She disappears into the sea of colorful banners and smiling faces, the weight of her brother's actions hangs heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the joyous celebration of love and acceptance. Pushing the interaction deep down, willing herself to stop crying.

Andy Herrera, clad in her firefighting uniform, pushes through the crowd, her eyes scanning the colorful chaos of the pride parade. Spotting a distrought Maya, in the distance, Andy quickens her pace, concern etched on her face as she approaches her friend.

ANDY:
Maya! What happened?

Maya looks up, her face pale and drawn as she meets Andy's gaze. She tries to brush off the concern, but the pain in her eyes is impossible to hide.

MAYA:
It's nothing, Andy. Just a little accident.

Andy's brow furrows with worry as she takes in Maya's bruised hand and swollen eye.

ANDY:
That doesn't look like "nothing" to me. Come on, let's get you checked out.

Without waiting for Maya's response, Andy takes her by the arm and leads her through the crowd, her firefighter instincts kicking into gear as she assesses Maya's condition.

Andy sits Maya down at the rig, a concerned frown creasing her brow as she checks Maya's vital signs and shines a light into her eyes, searching for signs of concussion.

ANDY:
Well, your hand is probably broken, Maya. And you've got a pretty nasty shiner forming there. But I'm more worried about your head. Any dizziness? Nausea?

Maya shakes her head, but swollowing thickly, her gaze fixed on the ground as she struggles to process everything that's happened.

MAYA:
No, I'm fine. Just a little shaken up, I guess.

Andy nods, not satisfied with Maya's response. She hands her an emesis bag. Maya puts in in her lap, resting the broken hand on an icepack and using the other to hold one to her throbbing face.

ANDY: Just in case

Maya swallows thickly again.

MAYA: I'm just a little nauseous, i am fine

But Andy knows Maya.
Maya is hurting, both physically and emotionally, and Andy wishes there was more she could do to help.

ANDY:
Alright, well, I'm going to help you into the aidcar and have someone take you to Grey Sloan.. You need to get an x-ray and have someone look at that eye. Its very swollen.

MAYA: That piece of shit. Ow. Speaking hurts.

ANDY: Than don't. That eye is swolen shut. Who did this?

MAYA: My brother.

Maya hisses forcing the tears down again.

ANDY: i'm sorry, Maya. Alright. Hughes will take you to Grey Sloan. Take care.

Maya nods, grateful for Andy's care and concern. As they prepare to leave, Andy helps Maya to her feet and takes the emesis bag.

Andy guides Maya through the door of her and Carina's home, where Carina and Liam wait anxiously. Carina's eyes widen with concern as she takes in Maya's battered appearance, rushing forward to envelop her in a tight embrace.

CARINA: Maya, what happened? Are you okay?

Maya leans into Carina's embrace, her eyes closing as she takes comfort in her wife's arms.

MAYA: I'm okay, Carina. Just a little banged up, but I'll be fine. Broken wrist and a black eye.

Carina shoots Andy a grateful smile as she helps Maya to the couch, where Liam waits, having no clue what is going on.

Maya smiles weakly at her son, her heart swelling with love for her family.

MAYA: I'm okay, Liam. Just glad to be home. Yeah. I love you little man. Whatever you turn out to be okay? I love you.

Carina looks at her with worry as Maya starts crying.

CARINA: Bambina, what happend, whats going on?

MAYA: i will tell you in a minute, i just need to be in our little bubble for a few minutes. Hug me, please

Carina noddes and pulls Maya close.