Baby bear in a blanket nest

Sickie/Little: Jongho

Caregivers: Ateez

No one’s POV.:

Jongho groaned hoarsely as he rolled over in his bed. It had been close to a week now, since Jongho had come home from vocal practice with a strained voice and sore throat. He had been convinced that he had just overdone it but when Hongjoong had come to wake him the next morning, he hadn’t been so sure anymore. His throat had been on fire ever since and the headache flared up on and off, indicating fever spikes. Hongjoong had cleared his dongsaeng’s schedules and sent the vocalist to get his throat checked, which was unsurprisingly badly inflamed. Jongho got a prescription and was taking care of himself pretty well but with how long he had already been sick, he was more than tired of spending his days alone at his dorm. He was usually very self sufficient, so his craving for his hyungs’ company shocked himself but he blamed it on the force of habit. The constant chaos and lack of privacy had become a habit over the course of time they had spent together as a group, so now that he was feeling low, he yearned for the safety and familiarity of his group.

The only member Jongho had interacted with that day was Hongjoong when the leader checked on him in the morning, bringing his dongsaeng water before leaving for his schedule. The older had asked him how he was doing and if he needed anything, so he might actually care but with how stiffly he had stood at the door, it seemed more like he felt it was his responsibility to check on the members than him actually caring. It hurt Jongho to remember how the other members fussed over each other when they were sick but now that he, the maknae, was sick, it didn’t seem, to matter to anyone. Sure, he was grateful that Hongjoong had brought him water because he was too sore to move and occasionally got dizzy when he tried to get up but there weren’t any words of comfort really. Maybe if they hadn’t split up their dorms, someone else would’ve come to check on Jongho to cheer him up a little before he’d have to stay back alone but with only two dorm mates, who were in a hurry to get some ready for their schedule, Jongho was mostly on his own.

Not even Seonghwa, who always watched out for his dongsaengs and kept an especially close eye on those who weren’t doing their best, had texted him today and Jongho didn’t want to be the one reaching out for the fear of bothering anyone when they had work to do. Eventually, Jongho found the energy to get up but only because his bladder forced him to. His mood had been deteriorating for the past couple of hours, since he had been awake and he couldn’t handle it anymore. Jongho didn’t frequently use his littlespace to escape his negative emotions but he had nothing else to do today and he was alone anyway. Considering San was openly little, the group knew what age regression was, though they didn’t know about Jongho specifically and the maknae wanted to keep it that way.

Filling his sippy cup with water, Jongho sat down on the edge of his bed and sniffled back tears. For heaven’s sake, he just wanted a hug when he was already feeling so awful but nobody seemed to care. They wouldn’t have left him all alone if they cared, right? Picking up his teddy to nuzzle his fever-flushed face into the soft material, Jongho’s eyes landed on his phone. He could call someone, right? They surely wouldn’t come home for him, just because he felt so unbearably lonely but maybe hearing a familiar voice would help a little.

Jongho didn’t need to think for long, already knowing who he was going to call. Anxiously biting his nails, he waited for the call to connect while his chest grew tight. A tear slowly made its way down the little’s cheek. Of course, nobody would pick up for him. They didn’t care. “Hey, Jong-ah, how’re you holding up?”, Seonghwa panted. He had barely heard his phone ring over the music but was glad that he had gotten to it just in time. More tears spilled from Jongho’s eyes as he whimpered: “Eo-Eomma….” His voice cracked painfully, making Seonghwa’s heart clench. “Love, are you little?”, the eldest whispered, gripping his phone tighter when he heard a hoarse hum of confirmation, “It’s okay, I promise, it’s okay. I’m on my way.” Hongjoong shot his only hyung a questioning look, so after ending the call, Seonghwa quickly explained what happened and the leader decided that they’d all head to his dorm.

Seonghwa was tense with worry as he waited for Hongjoong to punch in the code but San was the most anxious, knowing how badly he himself would fair if he was sick and little at the same time. Jongho startled when the door to his room opened, surprised enough to stop crying for a couple of seconds. “Eom-ma”, he stammered, making hesitant grabby hands for the older. Taking a seat on the edge of the bed, Seonghwa stroked Jongho’s sweaty hair out of his face and shushed: “I’m here, baby bear. You’re okay.” The maknae was already getting worked up again though and made more urgent grabby hands at his hyung. Finally pulling the little into a hug, Seonghwa winced at the heat rolling off of the boy.

For a few minutes, Seonghwa just sat with Jongho in his arms to give the youngest a chance to calm down and get used to being held. He was already surprised that Jongho tolerated his touch for so long, not usually fond of skinship but now he was really melting into the embrace, so Seonghwa wouldn’t be the one to pull away first. The group was in awe but didn’t want to overwhelm their maknae, keeping their distance while the eldest comforted him. Spotting the sippy cup on the nightstand, Yeosang went to refill it before handing it to Seonghwa, so he could make the little drink something. Jongho whined when he had to lift his head from Seonghwa’s shoulder and gagged on his drink, when a sudden jab of pain in his throat took him by surprise. The older rubbed his back but accepted that he didn’t want to drink anymore.

“Should we set up the living room, so we can get him all comfy to watch movies together?”, San whispered to Wooyoung, well aware that affection and distraction would help Jongho more than medicine ever could in his current situation. The dancer was quick to agree and the pair gathered whatever pillows and blankets they could find before getting to work in the living room. Hongjoong was taking stock of their medicine cabinet, while Yunho and Mingi had resigned themselves to buying takeout for the group, figuring that they’d probably be at this dorm for the rest of the day to take care of Jongho or at least keep him company. Yeosang had joined Seonghwa and Jongho on the little’s bed, tracing shapes on his back to calm him down.

Mingi had the brilliant idea to pick up some popsicles on their way back to Jongho’s dorm, hoping the cold treat would be able to numb the pain in his throat some. They generally knew how to care for a little, considering how long they had already been looking after San when he slipped but Jongho was a different story entirely. San was always childish even when he wasn’t in his headspace but Jongho…. The vocalist tended to be the most mature member at times, despite being the youngest, so it was hard to see him any differently. Besides, he usually hated skinship and only tolerated it from little Sannie because he knew the little would cry if he was pushed away. Watching Jongho cling to Seonghwa as if his life depended on it was nothing that any of them had thought they’d ever witness.

Jongho had eventually let go of Seonghwa but only because Yeosang had coaxed him out of bed and carried him to the living room where San and Wooyoung helped him settle the boy between loads of blankets. The pair had truly build a cozy blanket nest, which was far easier to access than Jongho’s bedroom and should make taking care if him a lot easier. Hongjoong had already laid out his dongsaeng’s next dose of medicine and now set about making tea when Seonghwa joined him. “Would you have expected Jong-ah…?”, the eldest whispered, earning a disappointed shake of the head. Not even looking up, the leader muttered: “I lived with him for years, hell, I talked to him earlier. How could I not notice?” – “You need to stop your train of though right there”, Seonghwa hummed, having picked up on the implication. Hongjoong was doubting himself as a leader again and while Seonghwa fiercely disagreed with that, the eldest himself felt like an awful hyung for not picking up on his dongsaeng’s struggle.

San soon had to expand their little blanket nest because Jongho refused to rest there on his own, laying in Wooyoung’s arms while Yeosang indulged their little baby bear in head pats. Seonghwa laid the table, so everything would be ready once Yunho and Mingi returned. Crouching in front of the blanket nest, Hongjoong smiled: “Are you comfy, Jong-ah?” A shiver ran down Jongho’s spine at the sound of the leader’s voice and he burrowed himself deeper in Wooyoung’s embrace. Frowning at the reaction, Hongjoong took a seat on the floor and hummed: “Are you upset with me, bear?” To all of their surprise, Jongho nodded against Wooyoung’s shoulder, which made the leader’s heart race in his chest. Gently rubbing the little’s back, Yeosang whispered: “Why are you upset with hyung, cub?” They saw Jongho’s lips move but none of them caught what he said, so Yeosang leant in closer, encouraging his dongsaeng to repeat himself.

“Yeah, that’s a valid reason”, Yeosang nodded as he looked into Hongjoong’s wide eyes. The older was going crazy with nerves what he had done wrong to hurt his dongsaeng to the point that he visibly shuddered in his presence. It confirmed what he had feared. He was indeed a bad leader and hyung. Holding back a laugh, Yeosang smirked: “You really dared to leave him for your schedule without a hug goodbye, hyung?” – “What?!”, Hongjoong stammered. He would’ve expected anything but this. The Jongho he knew would’ve thought him crazy had he tried to hug him goodbye.

“You had wanted a hug?”, Hongjoong whispered, extending a hand to the maknae. Looking up at the leader with glossy eyes, Jongho tried to hold back a sob but his chest still hitched. Scooting a little closer, Hongjoong opened his arms and cooed: “I’m sorry. I didn’t know, baby bear.” Sluggishly pulling away from Wooyoung, Jongho crawled into the leader’s arms and rested his burning forehead against the other’s neck. “Oh wow. That’s a pretty bad fever you’re running. You really don’t feel good, do you?”, Hongjoong winced in sympathy. Shaking his head the slightest bit, Jongho cuddled closer and tried to absorb as much of his hyung’s warmth and comfort as he possibly could. He only looked up when Seonghwa tapped his shoulder, showing him his sippy cup. The eldest had transferred the tea Hongjoong had made as soon as it had cooled to drinking temperature. With his throat still painfully raw, it did take some convincing but with Hongjoong holding the sippy to his lips, they were able to coax him into drinking half of it.

As soon as they got back, Yunho started dishing their meal and Mingi approached Jongho, humming: “Hey there, cub. Hyungs brought chicken. Do you want to eat some too?” Sniffling softly, the little shook his head. The fever had taken away his appetite and his throat was far too sore anyway. “That’s okay”, the rapper assured, stroking Jongho’s back, “Would you like a popsicle instead? The cold might feel nice on your throat.” After a moment of contemplation, the maknae gave a tiny nod though he didn’t seem too pleased when some of his friends left to eat. Seonghwa and Hongjoong stayed with him though and Mingi brought him the promised, affectionately ruffling his hair as he handed it over.

The cold treat really did feel nice on Jongho’s throat but it made his chills so much worse. The little had eventually traded Hongjoong’s lap for Seonghwa’s, his eomma comforting him in ways no one else ever could, but that didn’t mean the leader would just stand idly by. Watching their dongsaeng shiver, Hongjoong started wrap him in blankets and smiled as Seonghwa rocked the blanket bundle in his arms. Yunho eventually took Hongjoong’s place, so the leader could eat something too but Seonghwa was stuck. Taking pity on their eldest hyung, Wooyoung brought a plate to the living room and sat next to the older. He held the plate for Seonghwa, so he could eat while rocking Jongho in his arms. There was a cartoon playing quietly in the background, something San had picked in hopes of creating a soothing atmosphere but it turned out that they didn’t need to try so hard. Jongho was already getting drowsy, resting his head on Seonghwa’s shoulder.