Elevator Escapades | Charles Leclerc

Authors Note: Done in Charles POV

-------------------------------------------------

Ugh what a terrible day. I swear I can't go out for a moment's peace without being chased by crazy fans or paparazzi. Don't get me wrong, I love my fans- but every now and then it becomes impossible to do normal things without being bombarded by people...especially fans that don't respect boundaries and personal space. I've been extremely stressed out with the Driver's Championship- being just a few points behind Max Verstappen, and it was really taking a toll on me. My head was constantly "on" and I felt like I had been going nonstop on autopilot the past few weeks.  

It was a really sunny day in Japan, and I had just flown in for the race next week in Suzuka. This particular upcoming race was a special one for me, and I just wanted to relax beforehand. My girlfriend Alexandra and I were pretty hungry so I decided to step out of the hotel to grab us some drinks and snacks from the corner marketplace. We figured we would try to beat the jet lag and stay up watching Harry Potter movies, while trying to decompress. I had worn a black hoodie and glasses to not be detected. I made it in and our of the local store with some delicious snacks, but walking back towards my hotel, there was already a bustling crowd. Of course our hotel must have been leaked. Security was trying to navigate the crowd from both sides of the door, setting up a barrier. I took a deep breath and walked over. A lot of the teams were staying here, since it was the closest hotel to the track, so fans were waiting for whoever they could see.

I groaned and tried to get security to help me. They realized who I was and began to assist me. I really wasn't in the mood to stop for autographs and photos, and while I felt bad- I was just exhausted and annoyed. "CHARLES! CHARLES! CHARLES!" the fans were screaming. Some of them were grabbing my hoodie and trying to get my attention, only frustrating me more. I put on a fake smile and waved to people as I pushed through screaming fans to make it back to the lobby. "Mr. Leclerc, welcome back. Let us know if we can get you anything." I let the concierge know if they could just send some ice up to our room. Once I made my way over to the elevators, one was starting to close so I did an awkward run over and put my hand through the sensors to stop them from closing. I let out a deep breathe as I stepped in and noticed a petite blonde carrying a food takeout bag. I gave her a tight lipped smile as a result of me delaying the elevator.

Once she noticed my courteous smile, her eyes widened a bit and she blushed. She didn't say anything though and kinda smiled back at me. After 30 seconds the elevator began to move. "Um, excuse me..." she tapped on my shoulder. Here we go, riding in the elevator with a fan of course, I thought to myself. "Listen, no offense but can you just please let me be? I've had a long day and I'm not really in the mood to take a photo or sign anything" I snapped at her. She looked at me startled, and her eyes became glossy.

"U-u-uh you didn't press a floor, so I just wanted to know what floor you are on so you wouldn't missed it" she shakily responded. Great, I felt like an asshole. Here I am taking my frustrations out on a stranger, when I- like an idiot forgot to press my floor. "Oh, miss I'm so sorry. Floor 16, thank you." She just nodded in response and I felt like I had to apologize further. Before another word could come out, the elevator came to an abrupt halt and the lights flickered. Due to the sudden halt, she swayed off balance, and I dropped by bags, and instinctively reached out to steady her by placing my hands on her waist. She looked up at me, "what's happening?" her voice trembling with anxiety. I could see her hands start to shake and I was trying to remain calm myself. Fuck fuck fuck. "I think we're stuck" I responded.

Suddenly an intercom came on and I moved towards the switch on the elevator pad. A voice told us that they were sorry for the inconvenience and that the crew was trying to figure out what happened and that it could be a while, and not to worry. I turned to find the girl sitting on the floor rocking back and forth slightly. "P-pl-please we need to get out of here," she said, her voice barely a whisper. She was visibly distraught. I have had my fair share of panic attacks and I could sense one coming on for her. I sat next to her. "Hey,  we're going to be okay" I assured her. I placed my hand on her knee and made soothing circular motions on her leg to get her attention off the fact that were were stuck in an elevator.