Eyes On Fire | George Russell

Author's Note: *This is a long one shot* Enjoy! 

--------------------------------------------

It was New Year's Eve and George was hosting a large rooftop party with all our friends and partners in his Monaco apartment. Lots of the drivers now resided in Monaco, so it was a nice reunion since everyone was traveling during the winter break. George's girlfriend, Melody would also be there. They had been dating for about 2 years now. I loved seeing George so happy and in love. Melody was always nice to me at first, and we did a lot of things together in groups. She would always try to include me in conversations and ask me what's going on in life. She started traveling with George to his F1 races, and they traveled in between- meaning he wasn't home as much. 

Recently, she was slightly colder with me and I just assumed it was because she wanted alone time with George and didn't want me always intruding. I refused to hold it against him, he deserved only the best. We still talked everyday regardless of where in the world he was. Part of me was slightly jealous of his relationship in the sense that I wish I had someone myself. Here I was..freshly out of a terrible and toxic relationship. I craved to be loved and desired again, but I knew I wasn't ready emotionally and it would be unfair to start a new relationship that way.

After changing and putting on the last of my final touches, I grabbed my purse and headed downstairs. George's apartment was only a 10 minute walk from mine, so I figured I'd enjoy some alone time and a solo walk. Lando lived in the apartment under me, but he had already made his way to the party with Carlos, who was crashing on his guest bed for the weekend.

Just as I was leaving, Max started calling me asking if I was there yet. I mentioned I was on my way and he insisted on picking me up since it was so close. I didn't fight it, plus my feet would probably thank me, considering my heels were a little uncomfortable. After about 5 minutes he picked me up. I was excited to see him as it had been a while since I visited one of the boys races. He still made the effort to continue to call me and check in on me- which I appreciated. 

Max was very misunderstood in the racing world. He came across as "harsh, mean and cold" when in reality he was just a big ball of mush. He had a difficult upbringing and a difficult relationship with his father. "Lilah, its so nice to see you, and not just on a phone screen" Max said as he kissed my two cheeks and pulled me in for a hug. "Maxie, Im so glad you're here! Its been too long." We had a quick catch up as we began driving over to the party. 

"As much as I wanted to pick you up, I had an ulterior motive" Max spoke. I nodded waiting for him to proceed. "I'm officially Redbull's #1 driver next season. I'm thinking about moving to Monaco to be closer to everything, and I want your help decorating my new place." It took me a second to process what he just said. Here my friend was, accomplishing his dreams and moving closer to me!

I squealed at the tops of my lungs and almost made him crash the car when I side jumped on him. "Maxie I am sooo proud of you!!! And yes please come to Monaco so we can see each other more!!" I assured him I'd love to help him decorate his apartment, as I had been working for my own private interior decorating firm for 3 years now. "Please don't tell the others yet, until I signed and get my new place." I winked and assured him it was our little secret.

We pulled into the driveway and it seems lots of people were already there. We said our hellos and Max ventured off to find Lando and the others while I went to greet Mama Russell. "Ah my beautiful girl!! How are you?" I embraced her in a big hug, since I hadn't seen her in a few months, opting to spend Christmas time in Monaco and my parents flew out here. 

I was surprised George invited his parents since majority of the guest list was younger people/our friends. She took my hand and spun me around to look at my outfit. She did one of her famous winks and took her phone out to snap a photo of me. I didn't mind because I knew she always wanted a daughter to dress up, gossip with, and shop with, so I let her do her thing.