Forever Ferrari? | Charles Leclerc & Carlos Sainz

Authors Note: Written in both Charles and Carlos POV! Lowkey got emotional writing this. My poor Ferrari duo </3

---------------------------------------

Charles POV:

I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. I'd been sitting in my Maranello apartment, next door to Carlos when the announcement leaked that Lewis Hamilton would be joining Ferrari next year, leaving my favorite teammate seatless for 2025. Of course I knew vaguely what was happening, but I had signed an NDA, forbidden to speak to anyone- especially Carlos about it. I couldn't believe the information had leaked before Ferrari planned to announce it. 

Last Carlos had mentioned, was that Ferrari was close to signing him on an additional year, so this must have taken him by surprise. I can't imagine what he's going through right now. Rumors circulated that Audi wanted him as their number one driver, but they weren't joining the grid until 2026. 

Just when things in my life seem normal and I am happy, shit hits the fan. Carlos and I had been teammates for 4 years now, and I couldn't see myself driving with anyone else. He was like an older brother to me. We had the best chemistry across the grid by far. Interviewers loved our banter, the fans adored us, and we just got along overall. Even though we would still have 1 more year together, I was already getting a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I managed to wipe my tears and splash some water on my face. My phone pinged again and I had seen that Carlos posted to his instagram story. Reading his story made me emotional all over again, seeing that he was basically blindsided and had to rush to put out a statement. My notifications were blowing up, people tagging me in depressing videos edits of the two of us saying its the end of an era when 2024 is over. The fans sure were quick....

I quickly grabbed my keys and went down to hall to knock on Carlos's door. He cracked it open to see who it was before fully opening his door to me. He looked like shit, eyes swollen and his whole face was puffy. Looks like I wasn't the only one crying. We stood there in silence just staring at each other. He had to know I had nothing to do with this, and would never want to see him go. He was by far my favorite teammate, and we had grown into close friends. He sniffed and let out a small laugh, even though his eyes were still sad "Lord Perceval, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

I didn't respond, but I just wrapped my arms around him and buried my face into his chest. He was shocked at first, but wrapped his own arms around me. I think we stood there for a good 5 minutes, neither saying a word. "I'm so sorry Carlos, I wish there was something I could do."

He pulled away from me and motioned me over to the living room couch. I don't know why I was so emotional when he was the one that lost his seat. I had secured my contract through 2029, so for the time being, I had nothing to worry about. I think it was moreso because I was scared of loosing someone again. My entire life had been loss after loss, and although it's not like Carlos died or is moving far away- this still feels like a loss. What if he wasn't on the grid in 2025, would we still be friends? Could I go to him for advice still? Would he be there to console me after a DNF?

Carlos cleared his throat, taking me out of my own thoughts. "I'm shocked Hamilton is leaving Mercedes. I feel like if he wasn't, I would still have my seat with Ferrari for another year," he sighed.

I nodded in response, still in my own selfish turmoil of loosing Carlos. I think he could visibly see me retreating into myself because he placed his hand on my shoulder. "Charles, don't worry. Nothing will be different, we'll always still be the annoying duo on the grid. And i'll always be the guy beating you at golf and paddle." 

I laughed. I admired how positive he was being about all this, not knowing how I would react if the roles were reversed. Despite being positive and cracking a smile, it didnt reach his eyes. I thought he could use a distraction for the day, so I offered to treat him to some near headquarters, to which he said yes.