Chocolate Eyes | Carlos Sainz

Authors Note: Two Carlos one shots back to back... who am I?? Clearly you know who my faves are 😉

----------------------------------------------------------

The bar area was so crowded, my anxiety was at an all time high. I finally pushed through the crowd and just as I was about to order a drink for myself, I heard someone shout "2 vodka sodas for us" pointing to me and himself. I recognized that voice and slightly turned to see a smirking Carlos Sainz in front of me. "How did you know that was the drink I planned to order" I said. He didn't respond, and in return flashed his signature smile at me. 

"Someones in a good mood after winning the Italian Grand Prix" I laughed and nudged his shoulder. He chuckled back and took a seat on the barstool next to me. "The Tifosi made this a memorable win.... a Ferrari 1-2 in Monza is a dream come true" he said. I smiled back at him and briefly remember seeing him and Charles on the podium like two kids in the candy store. My heart burst from happiness seeing my childhood best friend and his teammate on the podium for their home race. Everyone was a Ferrari fan this weekend and the sea of red everywhere we went was iconic.

The bartender put the drinks on front of us, and before I could hand him my card, Carlos quickly handed his credit card over. I blushed and nervously put a strand of hair behind my ear. For a while now I had this feeling about me and Carlos. We were always just friends as we were both in a relationships at the time we first met. Since his breakup with Isa a bit ago, he was linked to some model, I think Rebecca was her name, but we somehow always gravitated toward each other. I was pretty sure Rebecca and him ended things, and I was low-key glad because she was rude and no one on the grid got along with her. Truthfully, there was a point where I thought he would ask me out when my relationship ended, but he never did. Part of me thought it was because of my close friendshipCharles, but I haven't thought too much of it since.

I came out of my thoughts and saw Carlos staring intently at me. "Why, are you looking at me like that?" I shouted to Carlos over the loud music in the club. When he didn't respond, my stomach began to nervously churn. Normally when someone stared at me the way he way, I'd start to become self conscious and even a bit creeped out, but there was something about the way his eyes were twinkling even in the dimly lit room.

 He motioned for me to lean down to his level since he was still sitting and he whispered in my ear "your beauty never fails to amaze me, Aria." His hot breath tickled my ear and I could swear I almost felt his lips brush up against the sweet spot on my neck. I froze and my entire body tingled at the sensation of him being so close and whispering those words to me. I thought to myself, fuck it- maybe he's too nervous to make the first move, so maybe I will? I smirked at his compliment and said "you really are the smooth operator, huh?" 

He laughed and I cut him off before he could speak "Carlos, I was wondering if you wanted to grab some coffe---" before I had a chance to finish a girl I vaguely recognized, came up behind him on the stool and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. She shouted "there you are baby" and kissed his cheek, while staring me down. He flinched at her kiss and almost had an annoyed expression on his face from her interrupting us. 

My eyes flashed from Carlos to her and back to him. I think he could visibly see the smile wipe off my face. He looked at me apologetically, like he wanted to say something- but as fast as he opened his mouth, he shut it. It was Rebecca. She was definitely tipsy as she leaned herself against his body, but she didn't hide her disgust when she realized who Carlos was talking to. "Oh HIIIIII Aria, I didn't see you there." I mustered all the kindness in my body and smiled sweetly at her. "Hi Rebecca, how are you? I didn't know you were here."

She shot me a dirty look, basically expecting me to assume she was here with Carlos and he invited her. Before I could wait for her respond I put my hand on Carlos's shoulder and whisper-shouted in his ear (so Rebecca could hear me purposely speaking Italian, which she didn't understand) "thank you for the drink Carlos, enjoy your evening with Rebecca." His smile faded. He reached for my hand as I removed it from his shoulder, but when I half turned around to see what was holding me back, he let it go after seeing the sad smile on my face. I gave him a reassuring smile and pushed through the crowd to make my way back to our group of friends who were sitting in the VIP area.

"Who invited the witch" said Kika, referring to Rebecca. If the guys on the grid didn't like Rebecca, the girls hated her. Alexandra started hysterical laughing, she was clearly already drunk. Kika knew about this strange connection me and Carlos shared. I never even talked about him with her, but she picked up on our "energies" as she quoted. Charles overheard her and mentioned something about how Rebecca couldn't fly in for the race, but she made it for the afterparty. I scoffed, of course she would only be here for the glitz and glam, not the important part. She always seemed to be around when it was convenient for her, and not to actually support Carlos. I felt slightly sad because I had thought her and Carlos ended things, but I guess not. 

I laughed and said "who cares, let's dance!!" Part of me did care, but Carlos didn't owe me anything. Rihanna came on so me, Kika and Alexandra started dancing together. A couple of guys attempted to dance with me, but I brushed them off as I wasn't in the mood to be with anyone besides the girls. One guy even went as far as wrapping his arm around my waist but thankfully Max pushed him away for me. Max was always the protective friend, so I was grateful for him in that moment. As usual, Danny blindly started ordering shots and as the night progressed I felt myself getting tipsy. I didn't drink often, but it felt nice to let loose and forget about everything around me for the moment. Charles was making everyone laugh with his horrible dance moves, and I made sure to take some videos to send to Arthur and Enzo. 

Eventually Carlos and Rebecca made their way back to our group and sat in the booths. Things seemed tense between them, and I noticed every time I peered over to them, she was all over him- purposefully. He did not seem to return the affection and it almost looked like he was forced to be there. I would have to ask Charles about that later. I knocked back another shot and re-joined the conversation between everyone.

I proceeded to mingle the rest of the night with all my friends, but every time I looked up, I saw his chocolate eyes staring back at me with a look I couldn't decipher.