Tiny Miracles | George Russell

Author's Note: Don't forget to vote and comment what/who you'd like to see in the upcoming stories :)

--------------------------------------------

Carolyn paced nervously in her living room, her hands resting on her swollen belly. She was 8 months pregnant and was feeling some pain. She thought she was experiencing Braxton Hicks, which had started earlier that morning, and with each passing minute, they grew stronger and more frequent. Feeling a surge of panic, she was sure it was just false labor. She wasn't due for another 3 weeks, so she shook it off and continued folding the laundry in the living room.

An hour later, when she was making herself some tea in the kitchen, she felt liquid pour down her legs and pool on the floor. She gasped out loud and starting freaking out. Her water just broke. She waddled her way to her bedroom for her cellphone. George, her husband, had just left yesterday for 2 days at Mercedes headquarters. It was the summer break, but Toto had called the boys in to run some data for the upcoming races. He would be at least 3 hours away by flight. She panicked and called her and George's best friend Alex and his girlfriend Lily, who lived in their building complex.

As the contractions intensified, Carolyn called Alex, trying to keep her voice steady despite the rising panic in her chest. "Alex, it's happening. The baby's coming and George is at headquarters," she said, her words coming out in short gasps and tears brimming her eyes. There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before Lily's voice filled the receiver, filled with concern and determination. "We're on our way up, Carolyn. Just hold on. Alex will bring the car around and call George on the way."

With trembling hands, Carolyn hung up the phone and focused on breathing through the pain. Minutes felt like hours as she waited for Alex and Lily to arrive, each contraction bringing her closer to the moment she had been anticipating and dreading all at once. Using a copy of their apartment keys, Alex rushed through the door. "Let's go love, Lily is waiting in the car upfront." I nodded appreciatively and he grabbed our to go hospital bag. 

Meanwhile, across the sea, George raced against time, his heart pounding with worry as he navigated through the Mercedes building. He could hardly believe that he had been so oblivious to Carolyn's impending labor yesterday, so consumed by his work. "Toto, hey. I need to get back to Monaco! Carolyn's going into labor!" The team principle noticed how freaked out his driver was and offered a solution. "Take my private jet, it will get you to Nice faster and I can just fly back commercial." He patted him on the back, wished him all the best, and to send Carolyn his congratulations. George was so grateful, as he was stressed trying to quickly find flights to get back in time. 

As he sped down the highway, his mind raced with thoughts of Carolyn and the baby. He prayed for their safety, willing himself to get home as quickly as possible. Once he boarded Toto's small jet, he sent a note to Alex to update him on his arrival. If all went well between landing in Nice and driving back to Monaco, he should arrive at the hospital in 4-5 hours. He hoped Carolyn could hold off long enough until he arrived.

On his flight his anxiety was through the roof. This was everything he ever wanted. He and Carolyn met through his mutual friend's girlfriend. Charlotte Sine introduced them, and it was like George's whole world flipped upside down. He had just joined Mercedes at the time and he wasn't looking for anything serious. He convinced himself having a girlfriend would be distracting, especially while racing for a top team. He couldn't help himself but gravitate towards her. Every time she appeared at the paddock in the Ferrari garage, or joined nights out in Monaco, he was smitten with her.

If you asked George 3 years ago that he would be married to the love of his life and expecting their first child at 28 years old- he'd laugh and think you were crazy. They faced lots of obstacles, especially with the distance. George tried his best to be present during her pregnancy, but traveling 9+ months of the year proved difficult. Carolyn joined him at most races when she wasn't working and was still able to fly. George hated being a part from her, but they had such a great support system of friends and family, that he knew she would be well taken care of. With 2 hours left in the flight, George started to think of the names they had previously discussed depending on the babies gender. They both agreed they wanted to be surprised. 

Back in Monaco, Carolyn was checked into a private room at the hospital waiting for her doctor and nurses to check her labor progress. "Hello Mrs. Russell, let's see how you are doing" the doctor advised. She was told she was only 4 centimeters along, and still had some time to go. Relief flushed through her, as she wanted to do everything she could to ensure George arrived in time for the birth. As she settled into the room, Alex and Lily returned along with Charles and Charlotte. 

"Sweetie, your parents and George's parents are on the way. George's parents got on the first flight out of London, and your parents should arrive in 30 minutes" Charlotte said. All of a sudden emotions took over Carolyn and tears spilled down her cheeks. "Cherie, what's wrong?" Charles anxiously said. The group thought she was in pain and was crying because of that.

"I'm just so happy, I can't believe I am about to have a baby with the love of my life surrounded by our closest friends" she replied. They collectively let out a sigh of relief. Charles wrapped his arm around Carolyn and kissed her forehead while Charlotte wiped her tears. She was blessed to say the least, with her support system. Lily and Alex stepped out to get her some ice chips to soothe her labor. 

Another two hours passed and Alex got an update that George landed and Lando was picking him up. Carolyn's parents were in the room with them keeping her company. Every so often she'd have intense pain with her contractions, but she opted for no epidural. "Do you guys have names prepared already?" her father asked. She smiled and said her and George had their names picked out a while ago depending on the gender of the baby. The group was begging her hints but she looked over to Charles and Charlotte and only grinned at them. They were confused but smiled back. Unbeknownst to them, George and Carolyn had agreed to honor one of them with whatever the babies gender was. If it wasn't for Charles and Charlotte, the two would have never met.  

After a little more time the nurse advised Carolyn that her contractions were closer together and that she was almost fully dilated. "Dear, it's time." "NO, NO, NO. It cant be. George isn't here" Carolyn wailed. She was hysterical crying especially when the nurses ushered everyone else out of the room. "He's here, he's here" she heard someone with Lando's voice shout out.

At the last possible second George rushed through the door out of breath. "Amour, you're here, thank god. If you ever put me in this pain again I will crash your Mercedes" Carolyn sighed. The pain was intensifying and she knew it was time. She was so proud of herself for holding out until her husband made it. "Ok hunny, we need you to push." Carolyn screamed out and pushed as hard as she could and it still wasn't enough. She felt like her whole body was loosing energy and she couldn't do it anymore. She cried out "I can't do it anymore!!" George grasped her hand tighter and tilted her head towards him. "Love, nothing else matters, look at me and focus on my voice. You are going to make the best mother. One final push and our dreams will come true. You can do it, you're the strongest person I know." 

And with one final, excruciatingly painful push later, the only sound that filled the room was a baby's cry. Tears filled George's eyes as he rushed back to her side, wrapping his arms around her. In that moment, nothing else mattered except the miracle of new life and the overwhelming love that filled their hearts. "You did amazing sweetheart, I'm so proud of you" George whispered while kissing her forehead. Tears formed in Carolyn's eyes and all those months of pain and worries evaporated when she cradled her baby in her arms. And as they gazed down at their tiny miracle, they knew that their family was complete. The nurse turned to them both and asked "do you guys have a name for this little one?" George and Carolyn looked at each other in agreement.

After the nurses cleaned their baby, the other people to pour back into the room to get a glance at their friends miracle. Carolyn's mom was crying and the others were tearing up seeing the baby in George's arms. Lando cleared his throat, "so are you guys going to tell us the baby's name?"

Carolyn and George both glanced at Charles and beaming with pride- George responded, his name is "Charles Louis Russell."