Chapter Twenty two - Noah

The library was close to the bar. Only a few miles away.

The walk gave me time to push lingering thoughts to the back if my mind.

When I arrived at the library, there were only a handful of people around the place. Walls of books stretched two stories towards the double height ceiling, interrupted only by massive stained glass windows set at regular intervals. The glow from the green glass desk lamps mingled with the sunlight to cast a warm, hazy glow over the hushed sanctum.

The thick emerald carpet muffled my footsteps as I walked towards the back, where Michael sat by himself.

"Working hard, I see." I said when I reached him. A tall stack of books sat next to him to his ever present caramel mocha, and loose sheets of notes and index cards covered every inch of the oak surface.

"Someone has to." He raised his head, and alarm pinched my chest when I noticed his puffy, red eyes.

They didn't match with his blue eyes.

"Were you crying?"

What the were they doing over at a library? I was pretty sure study materials weren't supposed to make someone cry unless they were tears of frustration, and Michael wasn't the type to lose it over academic stress.

"No." He tapped his highlighter against his notebook.

"I have allergies."

"That's bullshit."

We kept our voices low since we were in a library, but everyone was so zoned out and we were so far from the nearest person it didn't matter much.

"Why do you care? I called you for sex, not a heart to heart." Michael's tapping picked up speed.

"I don't care." I dropped into the chair next to him and lowered my voice further.

"But I'd rather not fuck a crying man unless your crying from pleasure. Any other kind of tears is a turn off."

"Charming."

"Would you rather I get turned on by others distress?" I slipped into our banter with shocking ease, considering my day at the bar. But when I was around Michael, everything else ceased to exist.

For better or for worse.

"I don't have the energy to argue with you today, okay?" He snapped, his voice lacking some of its usual fire, his eyes watering but he blinked it away.

"Either fuck me, or leave."

My brief flare of good humour evaporated. Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to take him up on his offer to sex, but today wasn't normal.

"Newsflash, trouble. Your not the only one who has shitty weeks, so stop acting like your so fucking special." I said coldly

"This is a mutually beneficial arrangement. It doesn't mean you can call me and expect me to come running to service your needs like a fucking gigolo."

"That's not what I'm doing."

"Could've fooled me."

We glared at each other, the air between us crackling with thinly veiled frustration before Michael's shoulders slumped and he dropped his highlight to rub his face.

My irritation fizzled at the simple reaction. I blew out a long breath, unable to keep up with the days wild roller coaster of emotions.

"Bad day at work?" He asked