Who's the girl?

Blake

As I pulled into the driveway, the weight of the world seemed to settle on my shoulders. Soccer practice had been brutal, both physically and mentally, and all I wanted was to collapse onto my bed and forget about everything for a while. But I knew that wouldn't be possible, not with Camille waiting for me inside.

I parked my Aston Martin with a sigh, running a hand through my sweaty hair before grabbing my sports bag and heading towards the front door. As soon as I stepped out of the car, Camille was there, rushing towards me with open arms.

Instantly, my muscles tensed at the thought of a hug. I'd never been one for physical affection, and Camille knew that. But she was my sister, and sometimes she forgot.

"Hey, Cami," I said, trying to sidestep her embrace.

But she didn't let me get away that easily. She enveloped me in a tight hug, and for a moment, I allowed myself to lean into it, to feel the warmth of her embrace. But as soon as she let go, I stepped back, feeling the familiar discomfort settle in my chest.

Camille studied me for a moment, her brow furrowing in concern. "Blake, what's wrong?"

I shrugged, trying to play it off. "Nothing, just tired from practice."

But Camille wasn't buying it. She knew me too well. "Who's the girl?" she asked, her eyes searching mine.

I froze, my heart skipping a beat. How did she know? Did I look that obvious?

As I unpacked my sports bag, Camille's assumption hung heavy in the air. "What girl?" I asked, feigning ignorance.

"Don't play dumb with me, Blake," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. "I can tell something's bothering you."

I sighed, realizing there was no point in hiding it from her. Camille always saw right through me. "Her name's Kiara," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

Camille's eyes widened in surprise, her lips curving into a small smile. "Kiara, huh? Sounds like you've got a crush."

I shook my head, frustration bubbling up inside me. "It's not like that, Cami. We're not dating. In fact, she probably hates me."

"Why would she hate you?" Camille asked, her tone gentle.

I hesitated, my hands trembling as I tried to find the words. How could I explain what I'd done? How could I make her understand?

But Camille wasn't one to let things slide. She could see right through my defenses, see the guilt etched into every line of my face.

"What did you do, Blake?" she asked, her voice soft but insistent.

I closed my eyes, unable to meet her gaze. "I... I ignored her," I admitted, my voice barely a whisper.

Camille's brow furrowed in confusion.

"After... after we kissed," I muttered, feeling a wave of shame wash over me.

Camille's eyes widened in shock, her hand flying to her mouth in disbelief. "Blake, why would you do that?"

I shrugged, unable to meet her gaze. "I don't know. I panicked, I guess. I thought... I thought it was what she wanted."

Camille shook her head, her expression softening with sympathy. "Blake, you can't keep running away from your problems. You can't keep pushing people away because you're scared."

I swallowed hard, feeling the weight of her words settle in my chest. She was right, of course. I'd been running for so long, hiding behind walls of indifference and apathy. But now those walls were crumbling, and I was left exposed and vulnerable.

"I know," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "I just... I don't know how to fix it."

Camille placed a hand on my shoulder, her touch grounding me in a way I hadn't realized I needed. "You start by apologising and telling her the truth," she said firmly. "And you need to stop acting tough all the time, because it's only going to hurt yourself in the end."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked at my sister, overwhelmed by the depth of her understanding and love.

She pulled me into another hug, and this time, I didn't resist. I let myself lean into her embrace, feeling the warmth of her love surround me like a protective cocoon.

And as I stood there, wrapped in my sister's arms, I knew that no matter what happened with Kiara, I would always have Camille by my side, guiding me through the darkness and into the light.