~~~ { 37 } ~~~

"Who's Fl0m and Tucker?" John asked Smit, of course on the way back, right in front of the other two. He had a plan here.

Smit raised an eyebrow, his once focused, and unconcerned expression seemed pained.

"Oh.. John, who told you that?" Smit mumbled, curiosity adding to his flurry of emotions right then.

"Grizzy."

"Asshole." Grizzy grumbled.

"Why were you guys talking about them?" Smit asked, while John refrained a smirk.

"I'll just wait to tell you so you don't get us in a crash."

Smit huffed, but nodded. John agreed to that, knowing Smit's usual fight response to literally any news, they might die if he was surprised with that right now.

"Answer my question Grizzy." Smit mumbled, looking across the living room to Grizzy, who had Puffer practically sitting on his lap. John had almost fallen asleep on Smit already.

"Answer what?... Oh, yeah." Grizzy waved his hand about carelessly, not bothering to even look up from his phone. "Fl0m and Tucker are alive."

"Grizzy, stop fucking with me, that shit isn't funny." Smit mumbled, leaning further onto John who was quite awake now. "How would you like it if I made fun of your dead friends?"

"There aren't dead though." Grizzy looked up finally, realizing the gravity of the situation. "Quite alive, actually."

"Grizzy-.."

"I'll call Tucker right now."

"Why is he talking to you, and not me?"

"Narcissistic much?"

"Grizzy thats not what I meant, I meant that he could have said something, anything to me!" Smit exclaimed, burying his face in Johns chest.

"He's scared of you, Smit."

Smit abruptly got up, hitting John in the stomach on accident.

"Scared of me? Bullshit! Why would he be scared of me? I didn't do anything to him, I saw him as my brother!" Smit was on the brink of having a breakdown, and despite the new pain in his stomach, John would do anything to stop that.

John pulled Smit back, and Smit buried his face back into his chest, sobbing, although impressively really quietly.

John could barely hear his small sobs, but the way Smit's body quivered and shook with every one made it painfully obvious, at least to him.

Smit was also mumbling incoherently, and John could barely understand a single word he was saying besides the occasional 'what did I do?' or 'I don't want them to be scared.'

John understood though, no one really wants to be feared, at least not in that way. Smit just wanted to see his friend again, hell, he thought they were dead, and to learn that they'd never contacted you because they feared you, was a huge fuck you in a way.

"Smit?" John rubbed Smit's back reassuringly, but only heard him sob more. This time he was blaming himself. Again, John couldn't tell exactly what he was saying, but it was definitely bullshit about how he could've done better.

"Smit, I could always-" Grizzy started, but John stopped him. The best thing Grizzy could do in this situation is shut his fucking mouth.

Johns eyes fell back onto Smit, the anger that they held towards Grizzy lost instantly. John had developed his protective manner towards Smit far sooner than this, but it swept in full force right then.

Perhaps that wasn't healthy either? John had been in plenty of relationships where he had no protective drive at all, but with Smit, he had it since the start, since he'd first gotten on Smit's bike way back when.

Oh, how he missed his bike now, that would've made Smit so much happier, to be able to just start his bike and run.

John learned through all these years, that speed is a painkiller, it's addicting, so addicting in fact it could get you killed every time you seek it. Yet you always want more, you always want to run faster.

He always remembered, the thrill of speed overwhelms the fear of death.

Thats why it's so dangerous, because you care so little about the consequences of hitting the limit, of hitting the barrier where your bike physically can't reach any higher speed.

John used to love that thrill, but now he's mellowed out a bit, he's become more cowardice of his bikes power.

When you're going that fast, your fears leave you, your hurt leaves you, until you have nothing but adrenaline. It scared John, how such a thing could make you feel so empty, so free, yet be at the brink of death any moment.

Maybe he should try that again sometime, reach the limiter of his bike, and feel nothing, nothing but the rush of wind, and the howl of the cars you pass.

Such a feeling should be illegal, because it's just so fucking dangerous.

It probably is, because going that fast is, but thats not the point.

John ran his hands through Smit hair, which got his attention, but it wasn't really enough to stop the mumbling, or the tears, which was okay with him. Smit needed to get it out, a man with this much trauma needs to cry a bit.

"Why does shit always happen to me." Immediately there was a sob after that, but it was the first coherent thing Smit had said.

"I don't know Smit, I don't." John decided to keep it simple, anything else might set Smit off into an angry meltdown, and somebody might get hurt. Not that John thought Smit would hurt somebody, but you never know, especially not with Smit, he always keeps you on your toes.

That, and Smit has literally been taught to deal with shit using violence, not just by the military, but people he trusted all throughout his childhood, which is fucked up in its own way.

John thought Puffer might die last time, seeing Smit's extremely hostile attitude towards him at the start. John also figured the Smit was a lot stronger than he gave himself credit for, Smit fucking loosing it would not be a pretty picture.

Actually, John didn't want to paint that picture in his head, he just wanted Smit to be happy, and stay happy, but he's right, shit just keeps happening. John figured that wouldn't stop, no matter how much Smii7y pleaded it to, which is sad, but also something that needed to be acknowledged.

Life isn't sunshine and rainbows, even when you have money.

Fucking sad.

- A/N -

I fell in a fucking creek because I'm a stupid ass Canadian would thought they could walk on fucking ice IN SPRING. Hooray, I gave myself  hypothermia. 

That shit was WAY deeper than I expected.

Im 5'4 for scale, and the water was up to my nose, that shit wasn't a creek no more, I almost drowned.

It was mild, I'm fine now, but that was crazy man.

-Fun Fact(s)-

Johns theme song might just be Absolute Territory by Ken Ashcorp, Just cuz it has the vibes, y'know? (It was really hard to pick one for him ngl)

John is right about Smit's tendency for violence, he does tend to resort to it.

Puffer is mentioned for a total of 2 times this entire chapter, and he doesn't have any dialog.

Tucker is scared of Smit because of his reactions, but what he did only dug himself in a deeper hole without realizing.