The Unyielding Vs. The Horror 5. Amber

Now, you will understand true fear...because there is only one fear in this world that can truly hurt someone. It's the one that dwells deep deep inside of you. DEEPEST EVER. 
"X28 Phase 3. Alta Core Timor" 

Just another day. Just another beautiful day.

I was walking down the street, carrying a bag in one hand and holding her hand in my other hand. 
"You sure you don't want me to carry it?" The woman asked smiling at me.
"Yes, don't you worry? I can easily carry this." I smiled back at her. She just shrugged and then nodded. The two of us were walking back from the market down at main street. Her family was coming to visit. We were preparing a feast to welcome them home from a long journey across the country.
"Do remember to find the extender for our dinner table. I think it's somewhere up on the loft." She said with a smile.
"Yea yea. I know I know. You think I forget so easily, but I am actually quite the smart one, love." I said. She laughed.
"I had to remind you that we were going shopping today, dear. So don't try to act all cool and that." She poked my chest with her free hand and I just laughed. 
"Fine fine. You win, you win." I surrender to hear logic. She just smiled at me, taking a step closer, making the gap between us even slimmer than it was just a few seconds ago. 

It had been a year since we moved to this town together. Not many knew me here and that's how I liked it. Here we could live in peace and just enjoy our lives together over the years. Allowing for time to move slowly forward. Allowing us to grow old together.

"There we go!" I shouted as I moved the small wooden piece into the lock on the table, extending the table.
"You did wipe it off with a cloth before you put it in, right?" Her voice rang from the kitchen.
"Yeah, I did. It was more dusty than my bookshelf." I said jokingly. I could hear her small giggle from inside the kitchen. The sound was all I needed now. 

It had been around seventeen months since I met her. The start of our life was a bit hectic, but now that time has passed and we moved away. Our lives had changed. I can become the man she deserves. I can become the man she needs. 

"Oh, dear!" I picked her up so she could dust off the top of the bookshelf.
"For someone who retired. You seem quite capable." She laughed.
"Well. I always keep myself in form!" I smiled. She looked down at me, finger flicking my forehead.
"Then if you are capable go out into the kitchen and start washing the dishes!" She scolded with a smile.
"Yes, ma'am." I smiled. I put her down and walked into the kitchen. I turned on the water letting it run a bit. It reminded me...of back then suddenly.

The sound of the rain splashed against my bruised cheek. I was lying in the middle of the street.
"Man," I said out loud. The rain felt somewhat soothing on my bruised and hurt skin. The men around me were all grunting in pain and writhing on the ground.
"How...boring," I said as I looked at the sky. I pressed my hand against the slippery floor and got up on my feet. The scars all over my body were deep from all their attacks. I walked forward, moving my legs slowly. The footsteps echoed in the puddles of water underneath me. I couldn't tell if it was the rain or the blood that was under my foot. My world had turned gray.
"God damn, those sons of bitches really came out of nowhere this time." I turned the corner, walking out of the alley to spot a spark of orange. 
"Ahh!" A scream echoed from my right. I turned to see an amber-colored umbrella and a woman staring at me. I was wearing nothing but a pair of black pants. My body was covered in scars all over from knife cuts and punches. My hair was messy. My eyes, lifeless. My feet bare.
"What happened to you!" The woman walked toward me holding the umbrella over my head.
"Move out of the way, lady," I grunted, pushing against her to get past her. 
"Excuse me-" The lady shouted. I turned around.
"What did I just say? Get out of he-" I didn't finish my sentence before a fist collided with my nose and sent me flying over the pavement, crashing into a trash can.
"At least have the manners to speak properly to a lady and also. Don't just bump into people. You got blood and water on my new white shirt!" She shouted as she walked over to me, pointing at my face. 
"What's your deal lady!" I roared.
"My deal is that you answer people properly when they worry about you. Geez. What kinda person just bumps into someone who is worried? Hopeless!" She shouted. I looked at her. Her amber-colored hair swayed in the wind and then she put on a soft smile. The smile warmed me. I felt it to my core and in that moment I felt a small spark ignite in my heart. A small amber flame erupts.
"W-what?" I looked at her.
"Let's start over. What happened to you?" She asked, kneeling down, allowing her knee to hit the ground, soaking in the blood and water. She began to use a handkerchief to remove some of the blood from my arm and shoulder.
"Just...a little brawl," I said, avoiding eye contact.
"A little brawl, huh?" She said clearly not taking my word for it.
"Come with me. let's get you fixed up." She grabbed my arm and picked me up from the ground, allowing the both of us to be under the umbrella.
"What's your name?" She asked. I stumbled after her as she dragged me over the street.
"W-what?" I looked confused at her.
"Name? You do have one right?" She asked.
"Llywelyn," I said with a small smile.
"Nice to meet you, Llywelyn. My name is Amber. Amber Heart." She said. The one thing that went through my head at that moment was. It was a fitting name.