018

Chapter 18: he's from the depths of hell.

A

breath of a dying one, holding onto life as much as possible. That was the only thing that the poor child could do at the moment, as the jester knelt on the old wooden floor. Cockroaches ran in terror as they were disturbed.

"I beg of you, old man. Save my sister! She's all I have, please!" The young one, with his fists clenched over his sweaty chest, cried in desperation.

And why does the young one think he would be someone who could heal a dying soul? Has he figured out what he is capable of? If so, what a smart little one!

Dying gasps filled the night air as a pair of eyes watched the little girl pound on her chest in hopes of getting rid of the blockage that seemed to be the cause of her difficulty breathing. If she wasn't treated before the sun rose, she'd be dead by dawn.

Now, the Jester hasn't learned his full potential in terms of using his abilities. He couldn't revive a deceased person. Even the devil wasn't capable of bringing the dead to life. However, he can certainly snatch a dying soul from death's hand.

But just like the bargain between the devil and Hyunjin. It wasn't for free.

The desperate young one was pale as white; his lips were purple, just like his dying sister. Could he, too, be dying?

Hyunjin had the ability to heal a dying one, but no God to perform such a thing. If it was her time to take death's hand, then who was he to stop it?

If there's only one enemy you wouldn't want to mess with, It would be God. So the taller man got back on his feet, brushing the dust off his worn-out trousers. "I'm sorry, child. But there's nothing I can do to sav-"

"No! I saw you! I saw you manipulate objects with your eyes, I-.. I saw you start a fire with your bare hands. I saw you do incredible things! it's no impossible to save my little sister." The  boy practically threw a fit, crying even harder than he already was.

What the jester failed to understand was how the little boy was begging for his sister's recovery but not his.

Empathy, that was all the child was asking for. "Please, mister...please."

As his legs collapsed onto the ground, he joined his sister clung onto life. This scenario, heavily reminded him of his children's lifeless body scattered on the muddy ground.

If he left them there, alone in a cabin among the woods and in the middle of the night, Hyunjin could almost call himself a heartless monster for doing so.