Chapter 3

Doc

I watched her drive up the road towards King's house. She was definitely having trouble driving, and I was worried about her. I briefly considered whether I should go after her, but as she practically fled from me, that would probably be a stupid idea.

I sat on my porch in front of the clinic for a while. Whatever I did that made her cry wasn't my intention. I just sat there and thought about her injury. It must have been very recent judging by the color. Whoever hurt her was significantly stronger than her. Maybe I should call her father, but what if it was him... No, Dr. Owen loved her deeply.

"What the hell are you doing up so early?" I heard Gears say as he saw me and walked over to me, interrupting my thoughts.

"I... I have to open the clinic," I replied, still in a daze.

"On a Sunday?" Gears asked me, and I looked up at him.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"It's Sunday, Doc... Since when do you work on Sundays?" Gears replied questioningly.

I pulled out my phone and stared at the screen... Sunday!! The woman confused me so much that I couldn't even think straight.

"You should drink less," he said as he continued walking.

The problem was that I hadn't had much to drink, I wasn't hungover. As soon as I saw this woman, my brain switched off, and I just stared at her. I didn't work on a Sunday... and neither did she!

She wasn't here for a damn appointment with me; she was here to seek help. If I had better control over myself, I wouldn't react like an idiot. The thoughts plagued me so much that I took a deep breath, until my phone rang and interrupted me.

"King" was written on it, and my heart literally shook in my chest.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked him, confused.

"Call the others... church," he said, exhaling.

"King... what's wrong with her?" I asked him.

"... Listen, Doc, I have to make a phone call. And you call the others. That's all you need to know for now," he said sternly.

I followed his instructions and gathered everyone together, quite angry about this secrecy. We waited for King for at least half an hour before he came.

"Why the hell can't I sleep? Why did you wake me up?" Duke asked as he came into the basement last and flopped down on the chair next to me.

"Listen up... Dr. Owen came to me this morning. Apparently, there are problems that we need to help with," King said, to which everyone was silent and listened to him. "It's probably about a stalker who is threatening the family," he added.

"The old man has a stalker?" Storm asked, confused. "No... the woman... Dr. Emily Owen," King said, to which everyone looked at each other.

"Did he attack her?" I asked him, and he looked at me nodding.

"For fuck's sake," Duke said as he rubbed his face with both hands. "Who attacked whom?"

"I asked Tom to come. The FBI doesn't have much to do with this, but Dr. Owen is with us, and so our community and work are now involved. She was attacked and threatened yesterday," King explained.

"Where is she now?" Ace asked as he turned to King.

"She's with Ivy... Emily and her daughter are going to stay in the safe house for a while until we see what happens next with Tom," King said, to which I looked up at him.