Chapter 17

Doc

"Are you sure they'll come?" King asked me when we arrived in Las Vegas after an hour.
"Yes!" I replied shortly as I checked my phone.

"I'll call Duke and let you know," King said, to which I nodded.
"He still doesn't answer me," I told King, to which he laughed.

"Duke knows you're pissed," he told me.

Pissed off is an understatement; I was angry and had a hard time controlling myself.
"You know he did that thoughtful," Ace said to me, and I looked at him.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Oh, he always said you had a thing for Lady Doc...You know he loves you. He would never do anything to hurt you," Ace added.
I know it wasn't Duke's fault. I'm not angry at him, more at myself. If I had been braver, it wouldn't have happened at all. She would be with me and not with Ivy's father for protection.

"But he's smart...you have to give him that. He knows exactly where he's safe," Storm added.
"Dumbass," Gears uttered as he lit his cigarette.

"...Yeah, listen Duke, we're in Las Vegas and waiting for Doc's SEAL colleagues. Then we'll come to you. Take care until then," I heard King say as he looked at me.
"Are they good?" I asked, to which King nodded.
"They're with Pete, I have to call him too," King explained as he held his phone to his ear again.

"I don't like waiting," Gears said nervously.

We drove our SUV as fast as we could to Las Vegas and have been waiting for my boys for some time now.
I know it takes a while for them all to get here, and I was grateful that they wanted to help. But time wasn't exactly on our side.Most of them lived in California that's why we got along from the first day.

"There's a car coming," Ace said after a while as we all turned in the direction he nodded.

A pickup truck drove up to us and kicked up the dust as it stopped. Dylan got out of the car and gave me a questioning look.
He was followed by three other brothers who I called and asked for help and they  looked at me through their sunglasses. During our time together we all looked like shit with our buzz cuts, in front of me there were now men with slicked back hair in civilian clothes.

Dylan was a tall, dark-skinned man with a coiffed afro. His beard seemed to be perfectly styled, and he was wearing a simple black shirt and jeans. No one would say he was a trained soldier until you see the way he carried himself.

Eden looked like a Calvin Klein model with his curly hair, which he told us about when we were stationed together. The only thing he missed back then was his hair. Seeing him like that now brought back memories of the time we spent at night talking about our lives before we spoke of war.

Finn was the tallest of us. The scars on his face that I once treated seemed to look much better than the bloody face I remembered.

And Masters, he was the one who always held us together. He was a giant with muscles but a gentle core. His dark hair was combed back, and the shirt he wore seemed to stick to him. A muscle hunk like our Storm.
We all left our unit after Masters was dishonorably discharged. He found out that our squad leader sent us into a trap where we lost our brother. I think he would have beaten him to death if we weren't there.
Since then, each of us has lived our own lives. But we will forever be connected and help each other. That's what brotherhood is about.

"You wanna trouble Doc?" Dylan asked and Ace looked at me.
"Only with you by my side," I replied, laughing.

“Hooyaa Baby ,” he shouted, to which the other three who got out joined in.