Chapter 22

Emily

Time passes damn slowly when you're waiting for something. If we were sitting here in this room for fun, it would have passed in the blink of an eye. But under these circumstances, every minute seemed like an hour.
I paced back and forth in the room in front of the door while Jane followed me with her eyes. "Don't worry, Doc," she said quietly as our eyes met.

I heard shuffling outside the door and stopped, whereupon Lilly and Jane stared at the door and stood up. A soft knock was heard, and Jane opened a small crack to look out.
"Is there another way out of here?" Gears asked Jane, whereupon she looked into the hallway and turned to me.
I looked out across the hallway behind Jane and saw men lying there while Gears wiped his bleeding nose.
"Behind the large cupboard there is a metal door; in the red vase is the key...that leads us straight into the forest," she said quietly to him. "But we have children here," she added.

He looked from her to the closet and thought for a moment.
"You don't have to go...they just have to think that we left," he said as he looked at the closet, and noises could be heard in the house, and we all looked up.
"Go in," he ordered, to which Jane nodded and closed the door.
Piper looked at me as I turned around, and I smiled at her.
"Mom?" She asked me, and I sat down next to her and hugged her.
"Don't worry, honey, everything is fine," I reassured her as I held her.

Shortly afterwards, Gears came into the room and pulled the closet in front of the door, which then covered it. He locked the door and turned to Jane. His eyes scanned the room, and he touched the wall with his fingers.
"What is this, a damn music studio?" he asked as he looked at her.
"No sound in, no sound out," she said.
The two talked quietly, and Jane nodded as Gears's phone vibrated, and he pulled it out of his pocket.
"Where the hell are you?" he whispered into the receiver. "I took out three...but there were probably around fifteen men here...there were also injured ones," he said quietly as he looked up at Lilly.
Jane looked from him to me and Lilly, who was sitting next to me, and her eyes were pure panic. "Hurry up," he said before hanging up.

The Coyotes' older children knew what was going on and kept the younger ones busy. I watched as this community, just like the No Limits, supported and helped each other. Piper climbed out of my lap and sat in front of the TV with the others as they began to invent a game to keep the little ones' attention on the screen.
"Gears?" I asked quietly as I stood next to him and Jane, and he looked at me.
"They'll probably need half an hour, Doc...something went wrong, they're here and not in the house Duke mentioned," he explained to me.
"Who's hurt?" Lilly asked, to which he looked at her tensely.
"Your father," he said quietly, whereupon Lilly whimpered, and he covered her mouth with his palm as he took her in his arms.
"Pull yourself together, Blondie...the kids," he said quietly, to which she nodded, tears slipping from her eyes.

Jane took my hand, squeezing it lightly as she looked at me while Gears continued to hold Lilly's mouth and look over her face. Her sobs were muffled by his giant hand, and he seemed to lose his hard gaze for a fraction as he stared into her eyes.
"He'll be ok...please," he said quietly, to which she nodded.
Lilly wiped her tears and looked at the floor as he released her mouth.
"We have to wait," he said to me as I took Lilly in my arms.

Time seemed to pass even more slowly now as Gears paced around the room, and we looked at him. His gaze went from the door to his watch as he paced back and forth.
"Angry?" I heard Piper ask as he looked at her.
"Is the bear coming in here?" she asked anxiously, and he looked from her to me.
"No one can get past me, little asskicker," he said to her, whereupon she smiled at him and looked at the screen again.
She seemed relieved when she heard his words, and I looked at him and whispered a thank you.