Chapter 21

Doc

Harper's eyes were wide as he stared at me, gasping for air.
His whole body was tense and he groaned in pain as he grabbed at me.
"Compresses, I need compresses...give me everything you have!" I shouted as I looked at the wound.The blood was pouring out ...fucking lot of blood.
I winced as a bomb fell again near us and I covered Harpers body from the impact,the terrible noise once again silenced all my hearing.
Masters shouted something to us but I almost didn't hear it. Words could be heard like help...backup... but I couldn't understand a whole sentence.
I shook my head to regain consciousness and looked at Harper who was already starting to spit up blood.

"Rogue 2 to Rouge 1...Man down...I repeat Man down! We need air support. Immediate transport required" Dylan shouted into the radio.
Masters and Finn darted around until Masters slid down the wall and panted. "I'm out of Ammo," he called to Dylan.
"Rouge 2 here, Rouge 1...negative...transport not possible. The zone is too hot. I repeat, no transport," we heard our superior announce.
"What?" Dylan asked incredulously.

"Rouge 1...sir...Harper can't do it without a hospital." Dylan shouted angrily into the radio.
"We have our priorities...You're on your own until a unit becomes available," he shouted, to which we all looked at Dylan.
"Motherfucker" Dylan yelled as he slammed his fist into the wall.

I tried to stop the bleeding but nothing helped. He needed immediate treatment, a surgeon and proper treatment.
I felt Harper's hand squeeze me and looked down at him.
He smiled at me and nodded...before his eyes stared into the sky.

"Harper!" I shouted before I started the heart massage.
Dylan looked at me and shook his head after a while.
"Doc...he's gone" he said to which I shook my head "Doc!" he shouted again as I looked at him.
"He's dead Doc" he said sadly.

I jumped as I opened my eyes and saw Dylan's face about to light a cigarette and look at me.
We came to this house Duke said and set up our camp as Masters called it.
So that our tracks wouldn't give us away, we didn't park in front of the house but a little further and walked through the forest to the house.
Pete's men knew their way around here, it was their home and so we were all able to get into the house quickly without being noticed.
The boys had split up and checked the surroundings the whole time, until we sat together towards the evening because nothing had happened so far. We have waited the whole day and half of the night. I must have fallen asleep for a while.

"Bad dream" Dylan asked me and I just nodded.
"I dream a lot too...sometimes just a noise I hear is enough to bring me back" he said as he looked at the fireplace.

"Where are the boys?" I asked him as I looked around.

"Masters and Duke are on the roof...Storm and the rich boy are in the woods and Eden is in the back of the house with King...the coyotes are on the first floor" he said to me.
"We let you get some sleep...you don't seem to have had much sleep these days" he said as he looked at Ace who was sitting in front of the fireplace.

"How long did I sleep?" I asked confused looking at my watch.

"One hour...maybe more" said Ace smiling.

"Something new?" I asked him as he shook his head.

"Pete said he had announced it to the right people...the woman and the child in the house...We have to wait" Ace explained.
I exhaled deeply and ran my hand through my hair.

"It's not your fault Doc...Harper's death isn't your fault" Dylan said to which I looked at him.
Ace turned to him and Dylan looked from him to me.

"We lost a brother...They let us down...We carried his dead body 12 miles until someone came to get us...And it was called collateral damage during a mission." He explained to Ace who looked from him to me.