Chapter 9

Doc

I actually thought that after talking to Tom, Emily would disappear into the safe house again and not be seen. But she didn't, she walked out of the bar and came straight to me as I was sitting on the front porch. Ivy told me that she sees the way I look at Emily, to which I just smiled. It was obvious I had a huge crush on her, she added. A crush is an understatement, but yeah, I knew that.

"Are you OK?" I asked her, to which she shook her head.
"I will be... someday," she said quietly.
We just sat there in silence for a while, and I had a hard time saying anything that might drive her away. Duke called me a coward. I am not a coward, but in front of her, I think the fear of losing her makes me more than that. Chicken shit, that's what I am in front of her.

"I'm hungry," she said after a while and looked at me.
"Oh... sure... do you want to go to Nora?" I asked her, and she looked at the restaurant and nodded. Ok, that's something completely new, she's talking... she's mingling with us.

Ace sat at the kitchen counter and listened to Nora mention a new recipe. She stopped mid-sentence and looked from me to Emily.
"Do you have some food?" I asked Nora, and she looked from me to Emily again.
"We're in lockdown," Ace said to me, and Nora threw her kitchen towel at him.
"Sit down," she said as Ace gave her a look. "King doesn't have to know... Close the blinds and turn off the lights," said Nora.

Emily started to laugh, something I haven't heard in a long time. Her beautiful face was happy again for a fraction, and I pressed my lips together, thinking about her leaving. Nora actually conjured up something edible in a short time, and we sat in the kitchen hidden from everyone's eyes.

"I feel like a rebellious teenager," Ace said, laughing as he ate his noodles.
"You were one," I said to him, and he laughed.
"I was just a messed up teenager," I heard Nora say, to which Emily hummed. "Me too," she said.

Nora and Ace looked from her to me, surprised at Emily's behavior.
"What? I'm not your therapist anymore... so it doesn't matter now," she added.
"Why, Dominic?" Nora asked suddenly, which made her look up.
Emily sat down on one of the work tables and picked up her plate.
"He was everything I wasn't," she said.
"Dangerous?" Ace asked interestedly.
"Among other things... he was confident... popular... mysterious... powerful," she began to say, to which Nora placed her face in her hands, listening to her. "I was always alone... the strange girl who was abused and almost murdered by her mother's lover. And Dominic gave me what I never had... attention," she said, to which Ace gave me a look.

Abused? Almost murdered?
"But after he found out that I was pregnant, he threw me out of his life. As quickly as he became interested in me... the quicker he got fed up with me... I got along without him," Emily continued.

We didn't have to tell her much about ourselves, she knew everything about us. But the fact that she's now telling us about her life is something completely new.

I don't know how long we sat there before Duke, Storm, and Josie found us and discovered the secret kitchen party. We all sat at the tables and talked until Josie said never have I ever done that... This led to a whole game in which everyone said something, and the others said whether they had done it or not. We all laughed at Duke's statements. I think there was nothing this man didn't do.

"Ok... ok I have something... Never have I ever fallen for someone from work," said Duke, grinning.
"Well, I did," Storm said, laughing as he looked at Josie.
"Well, me too," we heard Ace say as he kissed Nora's hand that had her wedding ring on it.
"Me too," Emily, and I said at the same time, and we looked at each other.
"Oh, look at you all, nasty and shit," Duke replied, laughing, which made us all laugh.