𝄞 never, again. 𝄞

Introduction:
• characters: xiao - venti
• side character: none
• type: angst shot
• requested: no
• word count: 1186
• AU: genshin au

_______________________________

No one's pov:

The once vibrant color of the Luhua pool was tainted a dark red that night.

Xiao's chest rose and fell unevenly.
He felt a strong urge to cry but couldn't.
The adeptus couldn't hold himself upright anymore, collapsing onto the damp sand of the shore.

Xiao's head swayed. He took in heavy breaths, trying to stay awake. Scenes of his life flashed past his blurring vision.

Xiao coughed out pools of blood, struggling to pull the giant spear out of his chest.

His amber eyes stared up at the faded stars that twinkled in the dark nights' sky, wishing he didn't have to deal with his karmic debt alone.

He figured this was the end, blood seeping out of the scarlet gash when he felt the wind pick up... perhaps a final, yet comforting goodbye from the world.

He closed his eyes as he began to feel colder than usual... That was when a voice shouting his name reached his ears.

It was venti, dashing towards him as fast as he could. Pain could be heard in the bard's voice.

"Xiao! Open your eyes. It's me."
His voice came in a shaky whisper as he knelt down beside him.

As soon as he heard his calming, lolly voice, Xiao could feel a lump in his throat. He could for once, cry in the thousands of years he's spent alive but chose not to for the better of the person standing right in front of him and himself.

Venti's lip quivered, and his chin scrunched. He backed away, trying to gather Xiao's head in his lap, looking at the blood oozing out his mouth with much emotion.

Venti bit back a sob, pulling Xiao's half broken mask off his face, that other one fading into turquoise dust.

He knew what was happening. He knew it was time and that it had to happen. There was nothing he could do to change it. All that is in his power now is to only be with Xiao and try to make him happy during his last moments.

He knew. He knew that he was an adeptus. An adeptus that looks like an earthling, who's hungry for bodily warmth and copied the affection of humans... he knew that this lonely looking adeptus depended on him.

He knew that this time would come eventually... After all, Xiao is a half mortal, and Venti is a God... just look at them. How could it ever work out? Venti wasn't prepared for that kind of situation and feelings to flood over him so suddenly again.

The adeptus cracked his eyes open slowly, fighting the urge to fall asleep.

"Ven...ti...?"
He seemed to gain a bit of control hearing a comforting voice.

Tears brimmed the archon's eyes.
Xiao felt a warm hand placed on his right cheek.
"H-hey! stay with me, can you hear me, Xiao?"

"I... love you...Venti..."
His breath hitched as wet trails stained his once rosy cheeks... He had never cried before. Xiao couldn't hold himself back anymore.

"Why do you have to leave me too..."
The god mumbled, sobbing quietly as he tightened his grip on Xiao's hand.

Venti pressed a kiss on Xiao's lips, then on his forehead. He couldn't bring himself to look at the giant spear poking out of his lover's chest.

Xiao's hand limped towards Venti's wrist, his fingers staining the edge of the bards' ruffled sleeve red.

"Stay...With...Me."
Xiao exhaled, his rib cage roaring with pain. His lung was crushed.

Xiao mustered a smile.
"Before I breathe my last... Will you sing to me once more...?"
he asked. His karmic debt wouldn't let him pass away peacefully, but at least this would make it more bearable.

Without any hesitation, Venti summoned his lyre, wasting no time to pluck the strings of his instrument with shaky hands, humming a soft yet sad melody.

Xiao's head felt dizzy, trying to focus on the music more than the impending sense of defeat that clawed at the back of his neck.

He lost count of the times where he lost consciousness and woke up again in the depth of this agony, but venti was still there, singing for him every single time.

All that could be heard was the desperate lullaby of a boy bard and the lick of the waves crashing against the shore.

The tune sang out onto the horizon until the night had reached the peer coast where the tragic lovers lay, the moons' blue rays welcoming only one of them home.

Xiao's life shimmered slowly from the tunes that freed his soul from his suffering karmic debt as his eyes fluttered shut and his lips tugged up in a faint smile.

After a while, only the bard's breathing seemed to remain, along the sound of the crickets and waves.

A high-pitched whistle grew deeper and deeper, and the uncontrollable wheeping of the anemo God echoed through the cold night.

Venti hugged the corps, patted its back at a clumsy rhythm, and even caressed the blood off its pale face using those small, shaky, cold hands of his, as if it was still alive.

"I fear that I'll wake to find you gone... please let this be a bad dream... don't leave me..."
Venti slurred between loud gasps, almost choking on his own tears.

Xiao's soul could see the avalanche roll down the bard's face but could no longer wipe it away.

The god, even Xiao himself, will never know why near death, the pain that he felt hadn't gone away.

Because though the lullaby lessened the agony of the adeptus' fate, yearning for the sweet embrace of death, it did not lessen the pain from Venti's once more lonely heart.

When the silence was the final word, they mourned the loss of things unheard, and that night was when the symphony had ended. There was no more music drifting in the calming breeze.

The wind had grown silent.

Cruel how it felt like both their world had ended, yet life went on like nothing happened.

_________________________________

Heyaaa, it's your fav author here (prob not 🤷‍♂️?) Anyway, sorry for the change of plan in posting another short chapter (apologies for it being angst with no good ending, too. My bad chat TwT). I haven't been feeling the best lately since a lot of stuff has been happening, and it's really affecting me. I won't be going on a hiatus since I'm not in such a bad state to be needing it, so yall don't have to worry about not being fed weekly, lol. I promise I'll come back next week with a longer chapter, and it'll be good smut (hopefully. Im kinda having a writing block and i have no idea how to even get over it but ill try my best, I promise. I might not finish it in time, BUT WE'LL SEE UNTIL THEN!)
Anyway, see you in the next chapter~.
Stay healthy and happy everyone!