My Benefactor Chapter Eleven

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 crimsonnebula

All rights reserved

Chapter Eleven

Enjoy! :-) The longest one I've written. No proofreading done.

********

(Derek's POV)

"Okay. See you guys in a few. Bye."

I end the call and slid the phone back to my pocket. I shook my head, amused about Cooper. He has gone nuts again. He took Reagan to a supermarket? What for? I guess I could never keep up on how his crazy mind works, and if I do, I'd probably end up reviewing why I survived being friends with him.

Leaning my head back on the reclining leather chair, I thought about my planned talk with my fellow Elders. When I got to the Headquarters, the four of them weren't there. I asked security for their whereabouts, and it seems Rockilian went to Germany to visit his clan, Talon and Connor went to California and Marcus, he didn't say where he was going.

What had me baffled though was that my older brother, Darren, came out from Marcus' office. It was suspicious because unauthorized persons can't get into our office, unless cleared by the Elders and security. I'd wanted to ask, out of curiousity, but remembered I didn't want to do anything with him, so I let it be and went home for some much needed shut eye.

I grimaced at the thought for having not enough sleep with all this stress.

My mind drifted to Reagan. Thinking about her made me smile for no particular reason. When I first met her two years ago, she was a curiousity to me. A mystery. When I listened to her story, I was shocked that those people close to her had the nerve to do such a thing. I could tell she didn't need pity nor sympathy. I had no clue why I took her, in but my gut tells me that she might be the one who can take me out of my depression about Miranda and Darren.

And I'm glad I did. She made the pain go away with the simplest gestures and that sweet smile of hers made my heart swell like a balloon. I had human friends, but Reagan was special in her own way.

She made me feel alive, piecing me back together good as new. From that moment on, my curiosity was replaced with brotherly affection.

But now, I am not so sure about it.

I was ripped out of my thoughts when I heard a soft knock on the door.

"Come in."

The door opened and Alexis stepped inside with a smile on her face, "Hey Derek. Did I interrupt you? Are you doing anything important?" she asked. She sauntered towards the chair in front of my desk and plopped down gracefully, making herself comfortable.

I shook my head,"No. I wasn't doing anything."

She smiled,"Okay. Well, I've talked with my mother about the wedding arrangements."

I frowned,"You agreed to this, Alexis? I thought we had an understanding about being against the idea of an arranged marriage." I said, quirking my eyebrow.

She shifted in her seat uncomfortably,"I know, but when I think about, why not give it a shot? We've been friends for a long time, Derek. I'm comfortable with you, and being married to you seems like a sensible thing for us. Our families are close, so yeah. If this marriage doesn't work well, we could always get a divorce." She said then shrugged.

I scoffed,"This is not trial and error, Alexis. Marriage is something to be cherished, not some experiment. I admit that I'm comfortable with you, but your way going about this is crazy." I said, glowering at her.

What on earth Alexis is thinking about? She's treating this like some test run!

She gave me a sheepish look,"Okay, maybe that came out wrong. I'm sorry for saying that. But, I have a feeling we could make this work."

I frowned, "I don't know..." I trailed.

"Derek, this marriage of convenience could be good for us. Unless," she paused for moment then continued, "unless you're holding back because of someone." She said, eyeing me suspiciously.

I snorted,"Me? Holding back?" I asked and she nodded, "No. Of course not. Why would I be? I have no one holding me back." I said but it sounded I'm trying to convince myself.

She nodded and smiled,"Good. So it's settled then."

I thought for a moment. Would I go through with it? I don't love Alexis, but I could learn somehow. Loving someone is a process, so maybe I could do it, but my heart wasn't set on the idea.

"I'll think about it, Alex."

She looked slightly disappointed but quickly covered it up with a smile,"Okay, I understand." Then she stood up,"I'll go cook dinner. I hope you're hungry." She said, walking towards the door.

I nodded,"Yeah, a little but wait--" she cut me off.

She smiled, "Excellent!" she chirped on the doorway,"I hope you like Bolognese."

"Yes, but--" she cut me off again.

She grinned,"Cool. I know where the kitchen is. Just sit there and relax. Think of this as practice for our soon-to-be married life." Then walked off to the kitchen.

"But it's Reagan's favorite thing to cook dinner for me..." I muttered and in a whisper, "and I haven't said yes to marrying you." I leaned back in my seat and heaved out a frustrated sigh.

It has always been a routine for Reagan to cook dinner while I cook breakfast and lunch. It felt wrong breaking the routine. When Reagan comes home knowing Alexis cooked for dinner, she'd probably be disappointed and heaven forbid, hurt.

After half an hour or so, I heard a rev car outside then after a few seconds, it stopped. I heard car doors opening and closing, then some animated chatter.

That must be them, so I stood up from my seat and walked out of my study to greet them at the front door.