Prelude: F-ZERO

Dr

Dr. Stewart sat his clipboard down on a counter in the break room, unable to come up with an answer. Despite the thunderstorm outside, the room was brightly lit but deathly quiet. For the most part everyone had gone home, only the night shift still in the building. With as upkept as this facility was, there weren't even background electrical noises to block out his thoughts.

"Still stumped?" Lily, a fellow doctor, asked as she stepped into the room. Her voice startled him, sounding louder than normal in the deafening silence.

Stewart sighed as he sat down on the couch under the window. "He still won't wake up. Doesn't matter how much we've tried."

"Sometimes we just have to wait these things out," Lily assured him.

"No," Stewart shook his head. "You haven't seen the latest numbers..."

Lily tilted her head.

"They're there," Stewart huffed, nodding slightly in the direction of his clipboard.

Lily picked it up, looking over the notes. Brain functions were minimal at best, heart rate was slowly dropping over time, and his physical condition... "... Oh."

"Yeah..."

"And you're sure this is accurate?"

"I've checked six times," Stewart mumbled. "He's dying. If he doesn't wake up... hell even if he does wake up, at this point he won't make it."

Lily leaned against the counter, setting the clipboard aside. "Those races were too dangerous. I'm glad they shut them down."

Instinctively, Stewart slammed a fist down on the windowsill. "No," he growled. "This galaxy is crumbling without the F-ZERO races... Too many powerful people had high stakes in those games. They've lost a lot, and it's too much for the IPF."

"But because of those races, Captain-"

"Because of Black Shadow!" Stewart barked. "Because of him, Captain Falcon is dying."

Lily was silent, staring at the ground. She looked passed Stewart, out the window. They were above Earth now, and could see half the world below from the breaks in the storm clouds just beneath them. "I'm gonna head home for the night," she finally said. "You should sleep soon too."

She didn't wait for a response before leaving.

Stewart turned in his seat, leaning against the window.

___

Meanwhile, in DC...

Here it was early morning, and the President of the United States was already tired of the argument he'd shut down a thousand times by now. Yet still, another someone was trying to convince him of the one thing he didn't want to do. The only reason the President was listening to this man, was because he'd been trusted to fight in Earth's defense in the past.