Chapter 9

"Why do you need to go to Kylie's house anyway?" Caleb blurted as he sat in the passenger seat of Charlie's red mini van. 

"Why do you have to come with me anyway?" She retorted, crinkling her nose.

He chuckled, "Maybe I'm just an overprotective boyfriend."

She stiffened at the use of the word 'boyfriend'. He seemed to notice and said, "If that's what you want to call me, that is." Upon closer inspection, Charlie noticed he was blushing.

She smiled at the idea of Caleb being baffled. "Well its not a good look on you." She added the last part with a quiet whisper, "Boyfriend."

He chuckled, "You really know how to make a guy feel flustered."

She winked, "You could say I have that kind of effect on people."

He rolled his eyes, "So? Kylie's house? Why?"

Charlie sighed, "I'll tell you after I talk to her, okay? It's kind of personal."

He nodded understandingly, "Gotcha."

-----

"Hi Mrs. Johnson! How are you?" Charlie said with a bright smile on her face.

Kylie's mom's eyes crinkled as her smile widened, "Charlie! It's been so long! I'm great, how are you sweety?"

"I'm wonderful, thanks!" Charlie said nodding and making small conversation. Charlie felt a soft spot for Mrs. Johnson. She had always made the best tacos and she was like her second mother.

"Is this your boyfriend? I knew a pretty girl like you would move on after Luke. After all, he was-"

Charlie cut her off at the mention of Luke, "Yeah. This is Caleb." She said. Caleb gave her a questioning look.

"Well hello Caleb, dear! You two must be here for Kylie? She's right upstairs, lounging." Her mom said, rolling her eyes playfully as she opened the door welcomingly.

Caleb grinned, "It's nice to meet you, ma'am."

Charlie entwined her fingers with Caleb's and they went inside the house and ventured up the stairs. Caleb started to ask her something, but Charlie hushed him, "Not now, okay?" He nodded.

As they reached Kylie's room, Charlie could hear her faint voice laughing on the other side of Kylie's closed bedroom door. She knocked and Kylie said, "What mom? I'm busy!"

Caleb said in a throaty voice, "You called for the male strippers, Mrs. Johnson."

Charlie playfully smacked Caleb and suppressed a laugh as she heard a gasp from the other side of the door. They heard loud footsteps approaching the door after Kylie said her goodbyes, probably over the phone.

She opened the door with a shocked expression on her face. After a moment of realization she glared, "That was so not funny, guys! I thought my mom had ordered strippers!"

Caleb and Charlie hysterically laughed for a long time, clutching their stomachs. Charlie said through pants of laughter, "You-were so- surprised."

Caleb chortled, "Priceless!"

Kylie scowled and crossed her arms over her chest, "What are you two doing here anyways?" Kylie's eyes made their way down to Charlie and Caleb's entwined fingers and she gaped, "What's going on here? Are you two-" she paused for effect "-dating?! I thought you hated him or something, Charlie. I thought... what about you-know-who."

Charlie sighed, "Why does everyone keep mentioning him. I'm done with you-know-who, okay? Let's just never speak of him again. He's history. And... I don't know, but Caleb Hughes is apparently my boyfriend now." She said grinning devilishly at Caleb.