Chapter 26

It's been 6 months, and not a day has gone by that Charlie hasn't thought about Caleb Hughes.

She thought about him so much, she did this thing where she wrote a letter to him every day and sealed it in an envelope, but she never mailed it. She had a box in her room where she put the letters in every day after she poured out her feelings.

People mocked her every day until high school finally ended for her. She moved because she was so tired of being called tits, or red lace, or perky girl, or other provocative names. She became a joke after that day in the cafeteria when everything went horribly wrong.

So when high school was over, Charlie asked for the help of her father, and with it, she got into her dream college, Colombia University. Her major was writing, and she was hoping to pursue her dream job as a magazine editor.

She had never thought about her future until the day that her high school fame was squashed with the sex tape. She found that she was so obsessed with popularity and keeping her good reputation that she completely forgot about what she wanted to do with her life.

She even tempted herself to do a few searches on Caleb Hughes. Currently, he was studying in the University of California. He was studying in hopes of becoming an engineer.

Finally, Charlie was genuinely pleased with her life. She was attending her dream college. While she did have to leave all of her friends like Kylie and Oliver and a few others, she was happy for a fresh start.

She was happy that she was somewhere where she wasn't just known as the girl on the sex tape. She didn't want that to define her. And it didn't.

She made new, amazing friends. She stayed in the dorm room with her newest best friend Monica. They had so much in common.

While not every boy fell at Charlie's feet like they used to in high school, Charlie was happy for it, because this time around she could tell who cared for her and who didn't.

Charlie met a new boy named Alex. He was sweet and funny, and it was blatantly obvious that he had a thing for her, but Charlie wouldn't be with him. She wasn't ready to move on.

Charlie sighed as she sat in her dorm room, pouring herself into the homework she was assigned that day.

She pushed all of it to the side and pulled out a manila envelope and a sheet of paper. She pulled out her finest ballpoint pen. The pen she only used for this sole purpose, and she started writing.

February 26, 2015

Dear Caleb,

It's just one more day that I can't seem to get you off of my mind. I know there's no chance of us having a chance, but I can't stop my mind from wandering back to you. I can't help but think we ended on such an unfinished note.

Your beautiful hazel eyes, and your fluffy lips. Wow, I sound like such a pervert. I miss your voice talking to me. I miss our tree. Maybe I'll see you this summer when I go back to visit my family. Maybe we'll exchange a smile or a hello?

My heart longs so be with you. As dumb as it sounds Caleb, it's been six months and I haven't been able to get over you. I love you. I hope you kept your word on your promise when you said you wouldn't forget me.

As selfish this is of me, I really hope you haven't moved on yet. God knows I haven't. I bet when you do though, the girls going to be so pretty. You do have excellent taste after all. I'm only joking...

Do you remember that time when we went zip-lining and we ended up in a holding cell? I would never admit it to your face if I was completely sober, but that was the most fun I've ever had in my life.

I wonder what would happen if I actually sent this letter? Or any of the other letters I've written to you. Would you respond? What would you say? I wonder if you miss me nearly half as much as I miss you. Anyway, though, I really should finish my work. As always, I love you.

Love always, Charlie

Charlie folded the paper, put it in the manila envelope and sealed it with the moistness of her tongue. She then labeled the envelope with the date, and threw it into the box.

"Not this again!" Monica groaned from the doorway.

Charlie flipped her off, "Get used to it."

Monica sighed, flopping on her bed, "I don't get it, Lia! Why can't you just go back to Cali for like a day and tell him you still love him?! Or just sent the freaking letter!"

She laughed, "Because he hurt me. I already told you what he did, Mo."

"People make mistakes! I bet he still loves you. Oh my god, wouldn't it be so romantic if he was writing letters too but he never sent them?!"

Charlie groaned, "This isn't The Notebook, you idiot!"

Monica laughed and waved her hand, "Whatever. I still think you're being dumb. Can I at least read one of the letters? Pretty pleaseeee." Monica begged.

Charlie said, "No! These letters are not supposed to be read by anyone but me, okay? Maybe I should burn them all."

Monica gasped, "Don't you dare!"

Charlie shrugged. "How's it going with Ronnie?"

Her best friend stifled a laugh, "I caught him with Karen. That little slut."

"You don't seem too bummed out?" Charlie said, concerned.

She shrugged, "I'm not. It's not like I loved him or anything." She walked over to Charlie, changing the topic back to Caleb, "I'm really sorry, Charlie. But I wish you would be more content. You have the perfect life, Lia. Alex, this really good guy, is head over heels for you, but you won't give him a chance."

"What makes you think I'm not content with my life, Mo? I'm so pleased. My life is great, I just don't like Alex."

"Stop lying to yourself, Lia. I know you're not happy. You're in denial. You're depressed." She persisted.

"I'm not in denial!" She objected.

"Is that why I hear you crying sometimes in the middle of the night?"

Charlie froze, and turned around flopping into her bed, "I didn't think you knew about... that."

Monica rolled her eyes as if her statement was so absurd, "I know everything, Lia. Get used to it."

"I love him. What am I supposed to do?"

"There's two things you can do. Lia, are you listening to me? Cause I'm about to give you some kick-ass advice. Are you ready?"

Charlie nodded.

Her friend continued, "So if you love Caleb, you can chase him. You can go after him and be with him. Or, you can just forget. It's not that hard. Start dating other boys even if you don't like them. You'll fall in love again, Lia. Isn't that what you did after Luke?"

Charlie smiled, "You give the best advice, Moni."

Monica grinned, "Alright, so operation in process. It's time to make you fall in love again!"