Chapter 10

Charlie sat cross legged on her bedroom carpet while secretly sneaking glances at Caleb. He was playing League of Legends on her computer, and she couldn't help but stare at his cute features.

"You done checking me out yet?" Caleb suddenly said with a smirk on his face.

Charlie furiously blushed, looking away. "Don't flatter yourself." She muttered. Caleb threw his head back laughing. He closed the game and swiveled the rolling chairs towards Charlie. "Okay. So you want to tell me about Luke now?"

She sighed, "Please just let it go, Caleb."

"Why?" He asked, utterly confused.

"Because it hurts too much to talk about it." She whispered.

Caleb sighed out of frustration. "Just let me in, Charlie! Jesus, it's okay to be hurt sometimes. It's okay to let out your feelings instead of bottling them up. It's fucking okay to be sad for once!"

She looked up at him, with tears forming in her eyes, "Fine!" She yelled, her voice cracking, "You want to know? Okay!" She took a deep breath and said in a quiet voice, "You're just like him. You are both super hardheaded. You're an arrogant, sadistic asshole. But you can have your moments. I was in love with this boy named Luke. Everyone used to make fun of him, but he didn't care, because he built up these walls around him. He didn't let anyone in- except me. Back then I was never really popular. I don't know why but only in high school did people start becoming obsessed with me. But with Luke- he let me in. We loved each other. Then one day, I walked in on him with Sandra Martin, the hottest chick in school. He didn't give me any explanation. After that day, no one ever saw him. I called his mom every day after that for a month and when she finally picked up, she told me to stop calling. That they had moved to Florida, and didn't want to hear from me ever again." Charlie bit her lip. "I haven't heard from him since, and it's been three years."

"You know." She said before Caleb could respond, "No boy has made me feel the way he used to... until you came along."

There were long moments of silence until Caleb finally pulled her in for a hug. "He's an asshole, Charlie. The way he left you like that... that's totally unfair."

"I know." She whispered as tears streamed down her face. Caleb smiled, "Thank you, Charlie, for letting me in. You may not realize it, but you put up a barrier too. Like the way you described Luke? It makes me feel like I'm the Charlie to your Luke."

Charlie laughed and Caleb grinned, accomplishing his goal of making her smile.

"You see that star up there?" Charlie said, pointing to one of the glow-in-the-dark stars on her ceiling. She remembered it as the star Luke had named after her. "I'm renaming it."

"Oh yeah?" He smirked, "To what?"

"Caleb."

"You're so cute, Charlie." Caleb said out of nowhere.

She blushed, "Stop trying to get in my pants, Hughes! I'm not that kind of girl!" She said while throwing her head back in laughter.

He looked amused, "Oh really? Because I'm sure any other girl in the school would do it for me."

She glared at him, "Then why are you dating me."

He stroked her cheek with his index finger, "Because you're not like other girls."

She felt the air between them getting tense, so she pushed him off laughing, "You're such a flirt, Mr. Hughes."

"That I am." He confirmed, grinning.

Suddenly a voice called out, "Charlie! Are you home sweetie?" Charlie recognized the voice as her mothers. Her eyes widened as she frantically looked around for a hiding spot for Caleb, "My mom can't know you're here. You have to hide, now!"

Her mom's footsteps approached the door as Charlie shoved Caleb into her closet.

The door swung open and Charlie bit her lip, hoping her mom wouldn't say anything too embarrassing since Caleb could probably hear everything she would say.

"Hey honey." Her mom said, moving in closer to hug Charlie.

She awkwardly returned the hug and said, "Hey... shouldn't you be at work, mom?"

"Oh, my boss told em I could go home already. Spend some time with my kids." She said, nudging Charlie, who awkwardly laughed, "Yeah... what's up?"

"Well, I've noticed you've been acting a little weird lately. Is something going on with you that I don't know about out."

"Well..." Charlie considered telling her mother about her boyfriend, but decided against it, seeing as he was currently in her closet, and her mom would grill her about it. "I'm doing good in school, making friends, the usual."

"I was talking with Debby's mom. You know Debby Hanson, right? She's in your grade." Her mom said with a spark in her eyes.

Charlie nodded. Debby was a cute, shy girl that attended her school. "Yeah, I know Debby."

"Right. Well, her mom told me that Debby has been searching everywhere for a prom dress, and I didn't even realize prom was coming up. What are your plans on that, sweetie?"

Charlie groaned, "Mom! Maybe you should talk to Crystal about that. You know that's not my sort of scene."

Her mom waved the thought away, "Crissy went dress shopping weeks ago with her friends! Thats why I'm a little worried, dear. I really think you should go this year."

"Mom." She warned.

"Don't give me that look, Charlie! I won't take no for an answer. It's your senior year, and you really deserve this. I know how upset you've been about." She paused, as if asking for permission, "about Luke. But I think it's time for you to move on."

"Yeah, right. Mom, I'm totally fine, okay? I'm over Luke. I just don't like being at Prom. I think the whole thing is dumb." Charlie lied. She was actually in love with prom night, but told herself it would be best to ditch it every year, since it would only remind her of her messed up relationship with Luke. "Besides, no one has even asked me yet."

Her mom waved the thought away as if it was ridiculous. "Crystal told me last year that almost ten boys asked you! That's a huge deal, Char."

Charlie suddenly realized Caleb was probably laughing his butt off and she frowned, "Okay, I'll think about it. Now will you please get off my back, mom!"

"Okay, okay! Geez, you're in such a hurry to get rid of your mom." She held her hands up in surrender. Before leaving, she planted a kiss on Charlie's forehead, "Just think about it, honey. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

Charlie nodded, smiling. She shut the door behind her mom and Caleb finally opened the door. He had a wide smirk on his face and Charlie didn't realize what was so amusing until she saw something in his hands.

She screamed, realizing that it was a thong. "Oh my god, Caleb Hughes! W-What?! W-Why were you looking through my drawers. O-Oh my G-God." She stuttered.

Caleb burst out laughing, clutching his stomach. "I never saw you as the thong type, Charlie!"

Her cheeks were flushed red, "Oh my god. This is so embarrassing. I hate you!" She pouted. "Besides! I only have one pair for when I'm wearing leggings. B-Because panty lines!"

Caleb continued laughing and Charlie finally grabbed her underwear away, shoving it back into the drawer that held her underwear.

"Now I know what all your underwear looks like, Charlie." Caleb said with a wink.

She bit her lip, "Not the one I'm wearing."

He walked over, closing the distance between the two, "You could show me." He said, whispering in a flirty voice.

"Get over yourself." Charlie said with a loud laugh. Caleb smiled, "I think your mom was right though- about prom. Don't let Luke ruin it for you."

Charlie rolled her eyes, "I'll think about it- just for you." Charlie smiled to herself at the idea of going to prom with Caleb. The idea of finally living out her dream. She would be Cinderella for one night, and she would have a Prince Charming. It wouldn't be Luke. But for once? That was okay. Because Caleb was so much better anyway.