Chapter 19

"Mom!" A wide-eyed boy shouted. "They're here!"

Caleb smiled and ruffled the boy's hair. The boy pouted at him and then ran back into the kitchen to his mom. Charlie now knew what Caleb meant by 'family' and not just 'mother'.

"You didn't have to walk me over here, Caleb. I do live like thirty seconds away." She whispered in his ear. He grinned, "My mom told me it would be gentlemanly if I walked you over. She's really excited to meet you. I'm sorry if she says anything embarras-"

"Hello! You must be Charlie!" A woman chirped. Charlie and Caleb turned to the voice. Charlie saw a middle aged, but still young looking woman. Her eyes were crinkled as she smiled, and she was wearing a subtle flowery dress. Her eyes were a light hazel color, like Caleb's. She seemed like a very warm and welcoming character.

Charlie stuck out her hand for a handshake, but the woman laughed and pulled her in for a hug instead. Charlie smiled as she returned the hug. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Hughes."

The women's smile widened, "Please. Call me Janet. Mrs. Hughes makes me feel like an old lady."

Caleb butted in, "You are an old lady though."

Charlie and Janet both smacked Caleb and he rubbed his arm. "Hey!"

Janet threw her head back in laughter, and Charlie awed at her. She realized that her laugh was exactly like Caleb's. That's one trait he definitely got from her.

"Ow!" A boy suddenly shouted, and there was a clatter of noise resounding from the kitchen.

Janet sighed, rubbing her forehead. Caleb groaned, and his mom scolded him, "Go help your brother, Caleb!"

Caleb defeatedly nodded and walked to the kitchen.

His mom then turned to Charlie. "You know...You remind me a lot of someone."

Charlie tightly smiled, "Do I really?"

"Yes." Her mom sat on the couch and patted the spot next to her. Taking the offer, Charlie went and sat on the couch. She said, "Actually, you're only the second girl Caleb has ever brought home for dinner. You're a really special girl."

Charlie grinned, completely surprised. With the amount of girls that Caleb has slept with, she was surprised and felt really special to know that she was one of the only ones Caleb ever cared enough for to meet his family.

Before she could answer, she heard a voice say. "So is that your new girlfriend?!" It sounded like Caleb's younger brother.

Caleb's laugh sounded in the air. "Yes. That's my new girlfriend. Charlie."

"She's so hot!" The younger voice whined.

Janet and Charlie who overheard the conversation burst out laughing, and Charlie blushed, feeling flattered.

The boys walked back into the living room where the women sat. "Charlie. I'd like you to meet my younger brother, Vance."

Charlie waved to the boy. "Wow, Caleb. You didn't mention you had such a cute little brother."

Vance blushed, looking away. Caleb chuckled. "Sorry. I guess it never came up."

"What happened to you?" She joked. Janet laughed and patted Charlie's shoulder, saying to Caleb, "She's a keeper, son."

"Yeah!" Vance quickly agreed, "Way better than Mia!"

Charlie raised her eyebrows as if asking, who is Mia? Was that the only other girl Caleb brought over for dinner?

"Anyways." Caleb said, quickly changing the topic, "When is food going to be ready, mom? I'm sure Charlie's mom is going to get worried soon? It's already been a while and we haven't even started eating."