Chapter 24

There was half an hour before lunch would be starting. Some kids were eagerly waiting in the lunchroom, while others were loitering the hallways. She walked around for a while before she spotted Lucas sitting outside in the courtyard, reading a physics textbook.

"There you are." Charlie said with a fake smile on her face as she plopped down in the seat across from Lucas. Thankfully, he was sitting alone, biting an apple.

Lucas smirked, "Were you looking for me, Harper?"

"Actually, yes." She crossed her arms over her chest, "I know what you said about me."

"Excuse me?" He mumbled, his brows furrowed.

Charlie snorted, rolling her eyes. "Don't play dumb with me, Lucas."

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Charlie." He said.

"I know about the bet." She snarled at him.

"Wait. You know about the bet? Who told you? Char, I'm sorry." Lucas said in a panicked voice. He looked around, making sure no one was walking by.

"It doesn't matter who told me. How could you say that about me?"

"You lost me again." Lucas muttered. "I didn't say anything about you, Charlie?"

Charlie stood there confused. But he just admitted to a bet? "So you're completely denying telling the guys in the locker room that I was an easy fuck? That I would just come crawling back to you? That I would still have sex with you after what you did?" She spat.

Lucas gaped at her. He held up his hands, "Whoa, Charlie. I never said any of that. Now I'm so confused.

Charlie shook her head, "Stop denying it!" She almost yelled, "Caleb told me in gym, he overheard you talking to some guys in the locker room. You bet them that you could get into my pants. That's why you told me you 'loved me.'" She said that last part with air quotes.

Lucas stared at her like she was crazy, "I don't even have gym class Charlie?!"

"Wait... you don't? What?" Now she was so confused.

"Your boyfriend must be making up some serious shit. I don't have gym class." He put his hand on her shoulder, "And I'd never say that about you." He smiled.

Charlie brushed his hand off, "Then what were you talking about?"

His eyes widened, and he picked up his textbook, "Nothing. I gotta go."

Charlie grabbed his wrist, digging her nails into it. "Can you just tell me what the fuck you're trying to hide? Why does everyone act like this around me sometimes? What the hell is going on, Lucas?" She said through gritted teeth.

A bell rang, signaling lunch time. Lucas slowly pulled away, "I'm sorry, Charlie, but I'm not telling you anything." He sighed, "Plus, I have to go to lunch. Bye." He was gone before Charlie could stop him.

She smoothed out her skirt and shook her head. What bet? She thought. Charlie walked back into the school and headed towards the lunchroom. On the way there, she was looking through the library and spotted a girl sitting at a table alone.

She was wiping her eyes and snot from her nose. It was clear that she was crying. Charlie suddenly felt bad for the poor girl. Like Oliver must have felt for her. So she decided she would help this girl out. She walked into the library and walked towards the girl. It looked like she was only a freshman.

"Hey." Charlie said, slipping into a seat beside the girl.

She looked at Charlie like she was crazy, "Charlie Harper?" She gasped, "Are you actually talking to me?"