Chapter 30

"You know, I had to change my number because of you." A glaring Kevin scowled as Charlie opened the door to her dorm room the next night.

Charlie smirked, "Sorry about that."

They both finally realized what the other was wearing and gaped at each other. Charlie was wearing a one-strapped sparkly silver dress and Kevin was wearing khakis with a white shirt and a navy blazer on top.

Charlie burst out laughing and Kevin shot her an annoyed look, "What?" He snapped.

Charlie said in between laughs, "Y-You look so p-preppy. Is ths w-what you used to wear in h-high school." She had another fit of laughter while Kevin glared at her. "Oh?" He challenged with a smirk, "You're the one wearing a sparkly, really short dress with heels. Is this what you wore in high school?"

Her laughter stopped as she scowled at him, "You said to wear something nice." She said through gritted teeth.

He laughed and slung an arm around her shoulder, "I didn't say it didn't look nice."

She closed the door behind her and brushed off his shoulder, walking ahead with her hips swaying and her arms crossed.

"Aw, don't be like that, baby!" He said running up to catch up with her.

She stifled a laugh, "I'm not your baby, idiot."

He licked his lips, "Not yet, anyway."

"The only reason I'm going out with you is because I'm an honest perrson with morals. So when I make a bet, I don't back out of it." She reasoned.

"I think you're going because you have nothing to do and you want to spend time with your favorite model."

She snorted. "I hate models. And I was actually very busy, for your information."

"So if you were very busy... then you chose to go out with a date with me instead of your other options? I'm flattered, Charlie, I really am." He smirked.

She blushed, "Whatever. Just take me to this damn date to we can get this over with, already."

The two stepped into the limousine car that Kevin brought and went off to their date, bickering and arguing like a married couple the whole way there.

When they arrived, Charlie stepped out of the car and glared. "What the hell, Kevin?! Is our date on the side of the road or something?" She yelled.

He laughed, grabbing her hand. He lead her away from the road and into a small clearing. Charlie's eyes spotted lit candles lying everywhere around the clearing in the small forest they were in. There was a blanket layed down next to flowers and a picnic basket.

Charlie gasped. Kevin watched for her reaction. Charlie started blushing. She asked softly, "Did you do all this for me?"

Kevin smiled, "Yeah."

Charlie gulped, "No one has ever... I mean... I've never been on a date this nice. It's... romantic. I mean... thank you. Wow. This is... something..." She mumbled, trailing off.

Before he could answer, Charlie burst into tears and Kevin was quick to open his arms for her. It must have brought back bad memories. He stroked her hair, "We can go back if you want, Charlie." He whispered as her tears soaked his blazer.

She shook her head profuesely. "No, no. I want this. I want to be here with you. It's just..." She hesitated, pulling away and wiping her eyes.

Kevin shoved his hands in his pockets, "Look, Charlie. If it isn't obvious, I really like you. A lot. I mean, I know we only met a few days ago, but for these past few days, I keep thinking about you."

She sniffed, "Why?! I'm violent. And I hit you. And I put your number on craiglist." She cracked a smile at the last part, "And I'm not falling all over you- like every other girl in the freaking world."

He smiled, "That's exactly why. Because I like your crankiness and the fact that you have respect for yourself. I like that you're drop dead gorgeous but you don't even know it. I like that you're not falling all over me just because I'm Kevin- the hot model. I like all that about you. You're not superficial."

She shook her head, "I like you too. I mean, I can't really say that... I think I do, but I can't be with you, Kevin."

"Why not?" He asked, trying to mask the hurt expression in his eyes.

She sighed, deciding to tell him the truth. "Because I can't afford to fall in love again, Kevin. I can't afford to get my heart broken. Trust me, two times was the charm. I just... can't."

He smiled, brightening up, "If that's what you're worried about, then you should know that I would never hurt you, Charlie."

"That's what Lucas and Caleb said..." She mumbled.

"I'm not Lucas and Caleb, am I?" He questioned with a raised eyebrow.

She sighed, "No. You're not. You're a model. You're Kevin."

"We can take it slow, Charlie. We can go at your pace. I just want to be with you." He whispered.

She let out a deep breath, "Will you promise? Promise you won't hurt me?"

"I promise I will never hurt you, Charlie." He grabbed her hand and she finally nodded.

"Okay." He grinned, "Charlie Harper... will you go on this date with me as my actual... girlfriend?"

She smiled, and finally realzied that for once, it wasn't forced. "Yes, Kevin Daniels. I will." She barely managed.

-----

"Guess who's dating Kevin Daniels?" Charlie said as she walked into her dorm room.

Monica jumped up, "You're dating Kevin Daniels!?!" She yelled.

Charlie shushed her but a smile was on her face, "Yes!"

Monica sighed dreamily, but then she looked serious. "Are you done... writing the letters?"

Charlie looked at the floor, but silently shook her head, "I... no. Those letters are the only thing that help me get through the days."

"Do you like Kevin?" She asked.

Charlie nodded, "I think so. Not as much as Caleb..."

Monica smiled, "It comes with time, baby. You had like the whole beginning of your senior year with Caleb. I know you can move on from this."

"You think so?" Charlie quietly whispered, "Because I don't think I deserve Kevin. He needs someone who can love him back completely."

Monica shook her head, "Don't do this to yourself, Lia. You have the ability to love Kevin like no one else can. You guys have chemistry. You deserve to be happy, Lia. Kevin knows you have loved other before. He knows you need time. So just let yourself be happy for once in your life, Charlie. You deserve it more than anyone I know." She ended.

"You're right." Charlie said as something finally clicked in her head, "I do deserve this."