Chapter 22

Harper? As in my last name Harper? She thought.

Caleb gave her the same look she was giving herself.

"Release these two before I sue you for slander. I already talked to your boss, and he permitted the release of my clients." He said in a firm, deep voice.

As if on cue, the cops phone started ringing.

Charlie guess it was his boss, and the chief of police, because the cop grumbled an objection, but then quickly shut up and unlocked the cell door. "You're free to go." He mumbled.

Caleb had a smirk on his face as he walked past the officer but Charlie simply innocently walked past, wondering why this man she didn't even know had bailed them out.

Once they were all outside of the police station, Caleb asked, "Who are you, again?"

The man sighed, "I'm the guy that's gonna kick your ass if you ever get my kid into trouble again."

Charlie froze.

Caleb gasped.

Eveything went in slow motion for a while. Charlie finally said, "No you're not."

The man looked at her with a hurt look in his expression. He walked over to Charlie, who instantly stepped back. Caleb shielded her from him, but the man didn't seem fazed. "You don't remember me, pumpkin?"

As soon as the words slipped out of her mouth, Charlie indeed realized that this man was her father. He used to call her pumpkin too.

"Dad?" She choked out.

"Why do you seem so surprised, pumpkin? I called you a few weeks ago." He said. Caleb moved to the side, and threw his hands into his pocket, "I'll give you two a few minutes." He said, sauntering off.

Charlie nodded gratefully, "Thanks, Caleb." Suddenly she wasn't so mad at him anymore.

"That, uh, wasn't me. That was Crystal."

A look of surprise flashed across his face, "Oh! She said she was Charlie, uh, this is awkward." He awkwardly laughed.

Charlie nodded, looking away. This was the man that had left her eleven years ago. When she was seven years old, this was the 'father' that had abandoned her. Why was he back?

"So, uh. How long has it been, eh? Ten years?" He asked, scratching the back of his head.

Charlie looked at the concrete floor. "Eleven."

"Right." He confirmed.

"Why are you back?" Charlie asked him suddenly.

He sighed, "I realized that I made a huge mistake-"

"Mom will never take you back." She spat out angrily.

He nodded understandingly, "I understand. That's not what I am here for."

"Then what, exactly, are you here for?" Her voice grew louder as she spoke.

"To get you girls back."

"Excuse me?" She spat.

"Not to get you back. But I'm here because I owe you all an explanation. Mostly... you. I'm sorry, baby girl. I fell out of love with your mother, and I took the cowardly way out and just ran off. But I still love you all. I care about you guys."

"How did you even know I was in jail?" She asked, ignoring his explanation.

"After the call with you- I mean, Crystal." He sheepishly said, "I've been following you, you know, making sure you haven't been getting in any trouble."