Chapter 15

After a week of Luke being back in school, Charlie realized that the PDA he shared with her other classmates didn't bother her anymore. He was just like Caleb was before she had started dating him. In fact, he had replaced Caleb as the bad-boy. But that was fine by Charlie, because Caleb always took her out on adventurous dates and scary stunts. He made her so, so happy.

Then one day, out of nowhere, Luke, approached Charlie. "We need to talk."

"What's up?" Charlie said, grinning. She had forgiven him, but she hadn't forgotten. So now she and Luke were just friends.

"Okay" Luke started, "The thing is... I know I said that I respected your decision of us being friends, but I can't take it anymore. Charlie, I'm in love with you."

"What?" Charlie gasped. She knew for a fact that just yesterday, Luke didn't feel that way. He supported Charlie and Caleb exchanging PDA at lunch, and he wanted them to be together. He had told her himself he was happy for the two of them, and he was going to start dating other girls if it was okay with her, which she was.

"I can't hold my feelings in anymore, Charlie."

"What the hell?" She smacked him on the back of his head, "I'm dating Caleb. And you're not in love with me, Lucas. You weren't yesterday. You can't fall in love with someone in one day."

"Charlie..."

"Seriously, Luke. What the hell changed?"

Lucas sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I just changed my mind after I found out a few things." He was thinking about the bet the school had. He knew he had a good chance of doing it before Caleb, even though he was dating her. He knew deep down that Charlie still loved him, and although he didn't, he could use it to his advantage to play her. After all, that's what Caleb was doing anyways, so he didn't even feel bad about ruining their reationship. He had just moved back to Culver Creek, and he could definitely use the respect of the school. Plus, 500 bucks wouldn't be so bad either.

"What things?"

Lucas bit his lip, thinking he might have said too much, "What things?" He repeated, "The things about you that made me fall in love with you in the first place." He lied. Yes, he used to love her, but he didn't anymore. Sure she was hot, but she was nowhere near as flexible as Miranda. That's why he slept with her that day she approached him. I mean, hello! Miranda was a cheerleader who could do oh-so many intriguing positions. Of course he was thrilled when Charlie sat next to him at his lunch table years ago, because Charlie got him popularity, and then when he was done with her, he didn't need her anymore, so he threw her to the side.

He started to make up cheesy lines that could win her over, "Like how your eyes sparkle when you hear something you love, or how you blush and try to look away when someone says something sweet to you." He paused, waiting for her to blush and look away, which she did. "And how you bite your nails when you're nervous."

Charlie gaped at him, and then subtly looked down to see her nails, confirming his observation.

"And how confident you can be when you're in a good mood, blasting music on your earphones, strutting through the halls like you're infinite without a care, but how you can be so, so insecure other times." The warning bell for class rang.

He paused, and lifted her chin after he made sure no one was left in the hall to see, and he whispered, "I think you need someone to make you realize that you are beautiful, and smart, and stubborn, and perfect. Someone who loves your flaws even when you don't. I don't think that someone should be Caleb." He looked down at Charlie's lips, which were parted in shock. She bit her lip, and he took this as a sign that she wanted him to kiss her.

He leaned down, about to close the space between their lips, when she pulled away and slapped him across the cheek. He gasped, feeling completely taken aback with surprise.

She gritted her teeth and said in a soft voice, "Don't make up that bullshit, Lucas. You're the one who cheated on me. You're the one who left me without an explanation. You're the one who broke my heart beyond repair. You're the one that to this day, makes me cry myself to sleep. Lucas, you're the one who left me. Not the other way around. And you can't just come back to California one day and tell me that you're sorry and that you love me. Because Luke, if you loved me, you wouldn't have left me."

He glared, angry that she had slapped him. He was angry that he didn't fall for her words. But he knew she would come back crawling. She always used to. He walked away and said, "Call me when you realize you love me, Charlie."

"Don't count on it." She whispered, mostly talking to herself. She felt her eyes water and she slunk down to the floor, wrapping her arms around her knees and she cried. The late bell had rung minutes ago, but she didn't care about class. She took in Luke's words, fully trying to understand them, when she heard footsteps approaching her.

They stopped at where she was sitting. She didn't look up, expecting it to be Caleb. That's how it was in the movies anyway, right? The boyfriend was supposed to show up out of nowhere, and suddenly comfort Charlie until they had a long romantic kiss. But for some reason, Charlie found herself hoping that it wasn't Caleb. She hoped it was her dad there for her.

As impossible as that was, she prayed and prayed that it was her dad. "Dad?" She humored.

The person didn't laugh, so she looked up. She realized her face must have looked like a mess, smeared makeup, damp hair, red and watery eyes. But she sincerely didn't care.

The person was a boy she had never seen before. She didn't think much of it, since her school was pretty huge. She didn't know all the people that were even in her grade. The boy was undeniably cute, though. He wore a plaid shirt buttoned up to his sleaves and black pants, with a pair of vans. His hair was spiked in a cute boyish sort of way.

"You don't deserve this." He said suddenly, pulling her out of her thoughts.

Her eyes widened as she stared up at him. She tightened her arms around herself. She couldn't bring herself to speak.

"It's not fair. Their stupid game." He said. She had no clue what this boy was talking about. He was being so vague. What game?

She sniffed, wiping her eyes. "What game?" She choked out.

He looked down, as if for the first time realizing she was there. He stared at her for awhile without responding. Finally, he offered her his arm.

She didn't take it. But simply stared at his welcoming hand. He groaned, "You're missing class."

She blankly continued staring at his arm.

"Come on, Charlie!" He pouted, bringing his hand back and scratching his head.

She looked up finally, "How do you know my name?" She certainly didn't know his.

He snorted, "Are you kidding?"

"Does it look like I'm kidding?" She said. She didn't intend for the question to come off as rude, and was about to correct herself, when he chuckled.

"It certainly doesn't look like it." He grinned.

She cracked a small smile, but it vanished as soon as it came up.

He stared at Charlie, noticing for the first time that even with the tear streaks going down her face, and the blob of mascara and eyeliner that had trailed behind the tears, she was really pretty. His grin widened when he saw her smile.

"Everyone knows your name." He raised his voice sounding like a squeaky, nasally tone, "I mean, you're, like, Culver Creeks most popular student." He batted his eyelashes.

She let out a laugh, "That tone suits you." She joked.

He put out his hand again, and this time, Charlie took it.