28. Tough Decisions

(Neutral pov;)

The galloping grew louder as the two horses approached the gates of the kingdom. The soldiers at the gate rushed to open the huge gates to let their monarch in.

Aksh rode close by, stopping at the gates as Agastya entered first. The gates were closed right after as both of them went in.

On reaching the horse-shed, both the men dismounted from their horses. Aksh followed Agastya inside after the horse caretakers took the horses to feed them and place them in their respective sheds.

Traversing through the hallways, Agastya approached a room guarded by soldiers on both sides.

Aksh's footsteps came to a hesitant stop as he stood before the gate. Agastya went in, his steps steady and sure.

The soldiers opened the door after bowing to Agastya. The door closed after him.

The soldiers bowed to Aksh before assuming their previous position.

(Agastya pov;)

I stepped inside the chamber as my heart thudded against my chest. I've been delaying this for months, but now it was time. I made up my mind after meeting Ruh today.

This decision had to be taken and Ruh needed to be back here as soon as possible. She was meant to rule beside me and I would not delay her the opportunity anymore.

I stopped halfway into the huge chamber. Father was beside the huge window overlooking the sikri tower. It was peculiar about him. Whenever I saw him in the chamber, he spent half of his time staring at the tower thinking about something.

I cleared my throat, earning his attention. He didn't move from his position, only his neck tilted unnoticeably, acknowledging my presence.

" come here, Agastya." ....his voice was oddly emotional, it carried hints of moisture.

Nevertheless, I followed his orders and went to stand beside him. As I stood there, I realized how beautiful the sikri tower looked from up here.

The gravelly voice spoke beside me, taking me out of my careful observation of the tower and the village visible vaguely.

" Its amazing how quickly time passes. One day I was holding you in my arms after your mother gave birth to you, thinking of a name. I thought for days to no success. You were just so special to me, I was afraid I couldn't find a name that would convey that significance. "......he stopped to take a soft breath, sniffing lightly....." then one day I came into this chamber, it was an empty one back then. I came near the window and saw this tower. It was just so great. I kept staring for a while and then it reminded me of a bond. A bond between us and sikri. Rather, a condition enforced upon sikri by us."

" It was centuries from now. Sikri was a flourishing kingdom at our borders. it was just so beautiful, our ancestors couldn't just keep their hands off it. " .....he took a breath, as he wanted to continue, but I interrupted him before that.

" Father, forgive me." .......I spoke up before he could say anything. To this, I earned a confused look. I continued..

" I know the information about Sikri was supposed to be kept a secret from me, but I came across it either fortunately or unfortunately. I would leave that for you to decide. "......I finished briefly.

His mouth opened, and closed after a while. He stared at me dumbfounded for a while after which he assumed a cool demeanor.

He turned back towards the window and I saw a smile which I couldn't decipher. Either it was a sad smile or a part-sad part-happy smile, but he didn't speak for another few moments.