Chapter 21: State of total awareness

Halfway across the world, immediately after James' call

"Ah for fuck's sake," Slade let out a frustrated breath, "David fucking Cain, again."

Deathstroke removed his black and orange mask and threw it on the duffle bag, he looked around the hotel room he had booked for this contract. He'd been there for months; it wasn't a job he was willing to abandon now. He pinched the bridge of his nose and called Wintergreen.

"Hey, Cain's in Gotham, you know what that means right?"

"What are the chances of them running into each other?"

"With her meddling in everything? I'd say pretty high odds," Slade huffed again, "just keep an eye out and I'll wire money for transportation to be ready at any moment."

"For fuck's sake, David fucking Cain, again."

"Yeah, that's what I said," Slade barked out a laugh.

"We should've killed him that day in the church."

"That we can agree on."

"Anyway, I'm on it. Fuck it, we've aged, let's hope the son of a bitch did too."

"Speak for yourself old man, I am still in tiptop condition."

May, before T-j turns 3, The SPYRAL debacle and Batman's return

Wayne Enterprises before Batman's return

The kids running around dressed in Robin clothes have all been arrested. Jim Gordon was still parading the streets in the robot batman suit. Jason was back in town, so was Red Robin and Robin who had been MIA for a while. (Damian died and came back but Meg doesn't know that)

Meg still had no answers from Jason until James, of all people, sent her an interesting word; SPYRAL. She never underestimated her brother, and she knew he always kept in touch with the underworld from afar, but that's not something she thought he'd know about.

As much as Meg wanted to be behind her home computer trying to help with the robins' situation, she had an actual job that provided legitimate income and a great additional cover. The actual job that meant she spent less time with her son, but her son needed to learn to interact with kids his age and the real world. The conversation with James keeps playing in her mind, she has to be working on SPYRAL, not whatever lame assignment she was on for her 'apprenticeship' at WE.

Flashback a few days after Jason left James' Paris apartment

"Helena Bertinelli, making our way up in the world I see," Meg hummed, "this can't be good."

"Isn't she the only survivor of her family or something?" James asked.

"Yep, the one and only, she came back as the Huntress," Meg read through some files.

"Purple crossbow lady, right?"

"You're doing your research, impressive," she looked up to the screen and saw her brother's unimpressed expression, "what?"

"She wasn't the only purple one, right?" James seemed to be looking at his own screen.

"Yes, there was another," that was enough to get Meg to pull up her surveillance feed of the apartment that Stephanie Brown, Harper Row and Cullen Row shared.

"And isn't this one supposed to have died in the gang war a few years back?" James asked in a tone that suggested he already knew the answer.

"I'm going to kill her," Meg groaned in frustration as she watched Stephanie parading around in her Spoiler suit and Yakuza moves.