Chapter 03: Stop reading pregnancy books

11 weeks pregnant

The first week of the new arrangement went well, they had a lot to work on and they got along just fine. So Meg decided to stay. They were both clean freaks and extremely organized people; they didn't crowd each other's space.

Jason loved the new tech Meg provided which gave him more time to focus on fieldwork, she was beyond smart. Meg hated staying home, but she knew she couldn't risk going in the field anymore.

All was going well until.

"Nope, no, not going to happen, I'm not doing that!" Meg got out of her room freaking out.

"What's wrong?" Jason asked from the stove.

"Where are the suitcases? Where are my things?" she was looking around.

"Under the bed," Jason walked carefully towards her.

"I'm calling the midwife, and getting an abortion. This was stupid! I can't have a baby. I can have an abortion at 11 weeks right?" she walked back into her room and pulled out the suitcase, Jason followed her in.

"I thought you wanted the baby," he added carefully as she frantically packed her things.

"I do-did, then I saw this," she threw the pregnancy book at him, "that's not happening to me." It was a picture of the progression of dilatation, "and did you know labor could last days?" she was losing it, "yeah it's a thing, early labor," she threw the clothes in the suitcase moving around a stunned Jason, "and the actual labor can last up to 12 hours! You know because 9 months of crazy hormones and weight gain and actual human production isn't enough, the baby needs a fucking grand entrance!"

"Um-" he didn't know what to say.

"Yeah, and then when the baby finally graces us with its presence, I'll have to feed it, change it, lay it down in a certain way so that the brain doesn't pop out of the tender part of the skull, because again 9 months weren't enough for the baby to have a proper skull!"

"I-"

"What if the baby chokes on vomit? What if it falls from the bassinet? What if I cut off one of the toes or fingers when I'm trimming its nails huh? Then what, what kind of mother cuts of her child's toes huh?" tears started falling down her face, "and I'll be doing it alone."

"You won't be alone," Jason hugged her without thinking.

"How fair is that? He gets laid, disappears and I have to raise a child by myself? What if I die in childbirth? Then what happens to my baby?" she cried in his shirt.

"You're not dying in childbirth. The baby won't choke on vomit, or fall from the bassinet, and you won't cut off any fingers or toes, okay?" he held her tight, "you're going to love the little devil more than anything, and I'll be with you every step of the way."

"I'm crazy and hormonal," she pulled away, "our partnership ends when Sionis goes to jail, you won't be with me-"

"I could be," he saw her freaked out look, "I'm not proposing, but we're getting along really well, we could actually become friends."

"It's only been two weeks," she pointed out wiping her tears.

"True, but we said we're taking it one day at the time."

"Right, one day at the time," she took a deep breath, "what if it's a boy?"

"So what if it's a boy?"

"I don't speak boy, should I circumcise should I not? Is blue too much of a cliché? I mean James is gay but he loves cars and stereotypical straight men things so I don't know how to speak boy!" she started freaking out again.