XXIII

On Jonas's request, Azure had agreed to play one more game with Arsenal before heading to rehab, the coach considering Azure would be a key element for the game against Manchester City.

The rest of the squad had yet to be informed of Azure's decision to step aside from football temporarily.

Not that the tattooed woman cared about the other girls' possible reaction. Except perhaps Kim's. And Laura's. And Lotte's. And Be- maybe she did care a little.

As Azure stepped onto the pitch for the final game before heading to rehab, a mix of emotions swirled within her. The familiar scent of freshly cut grass and the sound of cheering fans filled the air, but beneath the surface, there was an underlying tension as she grappled with the weight of her decision.

She knew that this game would be her last for a while, perhaps even longer than she dared to admit.

She took a look around at her teammates warming up, her eyes locking with Katie's for a second.

Taking a deep breath, Azure focused her mind and centered her thoughts, channeling her energy into the game ahead. She knew that despite her personal struggles, she had a job to do on the field, a responsibility to her teammates and her coach that she couldn't afford to neglect.

"You alright?" Azure heard a voice beside her, and she turned to see Kim, concern etched on her features.

"Yeah, why?" Azure asked, trying her best to appear confident in front of her captain.

Kim studied Azure for a moment, her gaze searching and intense. "You sure?" she asked, her tone gentle yet probing. "You seem... off."

Azure hesitated for a moment, torn between wanting to confide in Kim and keeping her struggles to herself. But something in Kim's eyes told her that she could trust her, that she didn't have to bear the weight of her burdens alone.

"I'm going to rehab after this," Azure admitted softly, her voice barely above a whisper. "I... I have a problem, Kim. With alcohol. And I need help."

Kim's eyes widened in surprise at Azure's confession, a mixture of shock and concern flickering across her features. But before she could respond, Jonas called everyone back to the locker room.

"We'll talk after," Kim said firmly, her tone leaving no room for argument as she placed a comforting hand on Azure's shoulder before following the rest of the team off the pitch.

Azure didn't react to Kim's sudden touch, probably too deep in her mind to care.

In the locker room, Jonas's pre-match speech went completely over Azure's head. She stole glances at her teammates, noting the familiar expressions of determination and focus etched on their faces. Once again, Katie's gaze crossed hers, but no words were exchanged.

Katie did offer Azure a small, discreet smirk. It was as if the Irish woman knew how Azure's game was going to unfold, her confidence in Azure unwavering despite the turmoil within. And as the game began, Azure found herself swept up in the rhythm of the match, the adrenaline pumping through her veins as she focused on the task at hand.

The only issue was; Alex Greenwood.

As the minutes ticked by, frustration began to gnaw at Azure's nerves, her every move countered by Greenwood's tenacity. Despite her best efforts, Azure found herself increasingly isolated on the field, her confidence wavering as doubts crept into her mind.

As formidable of a player Azure was, her anger issues were her main issue. And everyone knew that, including the English defender.

Greenwood seemed to exploit every opportunity to get under Azure's skin, her taunts and jabs only serving to fuel the fire of Azure's frustration. With each clash on the field, the tension between them grew, escalating into a full-blown confrontation that threatened to boil over at any moment.