XIV

Azure sighed softly, crossing her arms around her chest as she watched the game unfold in front of her.

Much to the fans and media's surprise, she wasn't playing in her first-ever game with Arsenal.

Of course, Azure knew why. Telling your coach to fuck off during training isn't exactly the best way to earn some playtime. No matter how good you are.

It was for the best, Azure told herself. She had barely slept in two days, her fight with Katie costing her precious moments of rest and peace of mind.

She knew that she had only herself to blame for her current predicament, that her reckless actions had led to her exclusion from the starting lineup. And yet, the knowledge offered little solace in the face of her own self-loathing and regret.

Three years ago, Azure would have given anything for the opportunity to play for the Gunners, to represent the club and its supporters on the pitch with pride and determination.

It didn't feel the same anymore. Gabriella would never see her in an Arsenal shirt, never cheer for her from the stands, or celebrate her victories with a smile and a kiss.

She had dreamed of this moment for years, had worked tirelessly to hone her skills and earn her place on the team. And yet, now that she was here, now that she had finally achieved her goal, it felt hollow and meaningless in the absence of the one person who had believed in her when no one else did.

So the only thing she could think was; why bother?

"Rockwell. You're in." Azure suddenly heard her coach call for her, his voice showing clear annoyance. But he didn't have a choice. They were down by two goals and Azure was one, if not the best striker in the world.

Azure's heart skipped a beat at the sound of her coach's voice, her thoughts jolting back to the present as she snapped out of her reverie. She knew that she couldn't let her personal struggles overshadow her responsibilities as a member of the team, and couldn't let her own insecurities and doubts dictate her actions on the pitch.

Azure pushed herself upright and made her way onto the pitch, her mind focused on the task at hand. Taking off her jacket, her jersey proudly displayed her name and number. Rockwell. 14.

She took a few seconds to warm up while waiting for the fourth referee to signal her substitution.

When she jogged onto the field after replacing Cloe Lacasse, Azure took a few seconds to scan the field.

Katie was about to take a corner. Almost everyone was at the reception of it except the keeper. Azure ran to position herself near the box, giving Katie the option to either pass it to her or make a cross into the box and hope for the best.

As Katie lined up to take the corner, Azure positioned herself strategically near the edge of the box, ready to pounce on any opportunity that presented itself. She could feel the tension in the air, the anticipation building with each passing moment as the crowd held its breath in anticipation of what was to come.

As the ball left Katie's foot, soaring through the air towards the goalmouth, Azure sprang into action. She leaped into the air, her eyes fixed on the trajectory of the ball as she positioned herself for the perfect header. Time seemed to slow to a crawl as Azure met the ball with a powerful header, redirecting it towards the far post with pinpoint accuracy.

The goalkeeper dove desperately to make the save, but it was too late. The ball sailed past her outstretched hands, finding the back of the net with a resounding thud that echoed throughout the stadium.

20 seconds in an Arsenal jersey, Azure had already scored a goal.

The crowd erupted into cheers while Azure's teammates clapped enthusiastically. Of course, no one came and celebrated with her, which Azure wouldn't complain about.