XXXIII

Football.

God, had Azure missed football.

A few months ago, she would've lied. Said football didn't mean anything to her anymore.

She didn't lie anymore. Football was her whole life. Football was what had saved her from herself.

As Azure stepped onto one of the Arsenal training ground football pitches, a surge of adrenaline coursed through her veins, igniting a fire within her that had long lay dormant. The familiar scent of freshly cut grass and the sound of cleats clicking against the turf filled the air, enveloping her in a sense of homecoming that brought a smile to her lips.

Katie had kept her updated about what had happened in the women's football world since she had left.

Surprisingly enough, she had finished seventh in the Ballon d'Or rankings. Katie had finished twenty second, and according to the Irish, Azure would've won it if she had agreed to play the World Cup and if she had played the entire season.

It was okay, though. Azure had already won one, she would most certainly win more later.

"Daydreaming, Azure?" Katie asked, walking to the taller woman, who jumped slightly at the sound of her voice.

She had arrived before anyone else. In fact, training was only going to start in an hour. But she felt the need to come here. To walk around the center.

Because it had been her dream, to play for Arsenal. And she felt like she hadn't treated her arrival at the club like she should've. She almost felt like she had disrespected the badge. She wanted to change that. Make it up to her old self, make it up to the Gooners, and make it up to her teammates.

Azure's gaze snapped to Katie at the sound of her voice, a sheepish grin spreading across her lips as she shook her head in amusement.

"Why are you here so early?" Azure asked, and the Irish shrugged.

"I could ask you the same thing," she replied with a playful smirk, her eyes twinkling with mischief as she approached Azure. "But I think I already know the answer."

Azure chuckled softly at Katie's teasing remark, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment as she ran a hand through her hair.

"I just... yeah, I missed this. I missed football."

Katie nodded in understanding, her expression softening with empathy as she placed a reassuring hand on Azure's shoulder.

"I get it, mate," she replied, her voice filled with understanding. "Football's in your blood. It's who you are."

Azure nodded, smiling softly. "Isn't it a bit weird? You call me mate, then we kiss for hours."

Katie chuckled at Azure's words, shrugging. "I mean... we said no labels, didn't we?"

"Yeah, we did," Azure confirmed, a smile smirk on her lips. "I'm gonna need labels at some point, though. Just saying."

Katie's playful smirk turned into a thoughtful expression as she considered Azure's words, her green eyes searching Azure's gaze for a moment before she spoke.

"I know," Katie replied softly. "Did you eat anything for breakfast?"

Azure shook her head at the question. "No, I haven't. Guess I was too stressed out about today." She admitted.

Katie let out a small sigh, but didn't say anything. "Come on, let's go find you something at the cafeteria."

Azure frowned at Katie's words, raising an eyebrow. "It's open? At 9 a.m?"