XXVI

Azure sighed softly, and took a look around once she had stepped out of JFK Airport.

It was freezing.

She pulled her coat tighter around herself, the icy air biting at her cheeks and nose as she glanced around at the bustling terminal.

Winter had truly descended upon New York City, the air crisp and frigid, the sky a steely gray above. Snowflakes danced lazily in the air, painting the landscape in a delicate blanket of white as far as the eye could see.

Azure's breath hung in the air in wispy clouds, her fingers tingling with cold as she adjusted to the sudden change in temperature.

She was finally back in New York, back in the city that held so many memories, both good and bad.

A honk coming from a few feet away startled her out of her reverie, reminding her that she needed to find a cab to take her to her parents' condo.

Hailing a taxi, Azure quickly climbed into the warmth of the cab, grateful for the reprieve from the biting cold.

"Vestry Street, please." Azure requested, settling back into the seat as the cab pulled away from the curb, her suitcase in the trunk of the taxi.

As the cab navigated through the bustling streets of New York, Azure couldn't help but feel a sense of nostalgia wash over her. The familiar sights and sounds of the city brought back a flood of memories, transporting her back to moments long gone but not forgotten.

She watched as the city passed by in a blur outside the window, the towering skyscrapers and bustling streets covered in a thick layer of snow.

As the cab pulled up to the familiar address on Vestry Street, Azure paid the driver and stepped out onto the snowy sidewalk, her breath visible in the cold air as she gathered her suitcase and made her way up to the front door.

The sound of her footsteps echoed in the quiet street as she climbed the steps to the condo, her heart pounding in her chest with each passing moment. She hesitated for a brief moment before reaching out to ring the doorbell, her hand trembling slightly as she waited for someone to answer.

No one knew she was coming. Because no one knew she got out of rehab.

She didn't even know if anyone was home. Her father surely wasn't, knowing he was working most of the time. Her mother was probably at work too, but who knows?

Chances are the housekeeper would be the one answering the door.

Azure's heart raced with anticipation as she waited for a response, the uncertainty of what awaited her on the other side of the door adding to the tension in the air.

After what felt like an eternity, the door creaked open, revealing the familiar face of their long-time housekeeper, Mrs. Rodriguez. Her eyes widened in surprise as she took in Azure's appearance, her expression a mixture of shock and concern.

"Miss Azure?" Mrs. Rodriguez exclaimed, her voice filled with disbelief as she stepped back to allow Azure to enter. "Is it really you?"

Azure offered Mrs. Rodriguez a weak smile, her nerves getting the best of her as she stepped into the warmth of the condo. "Hey, Mrs. Rodriguez," she greeted softly, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "Yeah, it's me."

Mrs. Rodriguez's eyes softened with sympathy as she took in Azure's weary appearance, the lines of worry etched on her face. "Oh, my dear," she murmured gently, reaching out to embrace Azure in a comforting hug. "We've missed you so much."

Tears pricked at the corners of Azure's eyes as she returned Mrs. Rodriguez's embrace, the familiar warmth of the older woman's presence offering her a sense of solace amidst the storm of emotions swirling inside her.