XIX

The next morning dawned with a tranquility that Azure hadn't felt in a very long time. As the soft light of dawn filtered through the curtains, she found herself waking up next to Katie. She didn't feel guilty.

Didn't feel like she was cheating on her wife, didn't feel like she was betraying Gabby's memory. Instead, she felt a sense of peace and contentment washing over her, a feeling she hadn't experienced in years.

She hesitated for a few seconds, then gently brushed a strand of hair away from Katie's face, a tender smile playing on her lips as she watched the Irish girl sleep peacefully beside her.

She spent a few minutes simply observing the girl's features.

There was something special about Katie. She was beautiful, but different. Not the same beautiful as Gabriella, as the rest of her teammates, or as some actresses Azure liked.

No, Katie had her own kind of beauty. Azure didn't exactly know if it was her tan skin, her dimples when she smirked, her eyes. Sometimes blue, sometimes grey, sometimes green. Or maybe the beauty marks on her cheeks. Maybe her perfectly white teeth.

Maybe it was the absolute confidence that emanated from her every movement, the way she carried herself with an effortless grace and charm that drew people to her like moths to a flame. Whatever it was, Azure knew that she was captivated by Katie in a way she had never imagined would happen to her again.

As Azure continued to gaze at Katie's sleeping form, a flood of emotions washed over her, overwhelming her senses with a warmth and tenderness she hadn't felt in years. She marveled at the way Katie's features softened in repose, her lips curved into a gentle smile that spoke of dreams and happiness.

Her lips. She loved how peculiar the shape of her lips was. So full. So perfect. So pink. And again, that small beauty mark on her bottom lip.

Azure reached out, tracing the curve of Katie's lips with the tip of her thumb, her touch feather-light against the softness of her skin. She marveled at the way Katie's lips parted ever so slightly under her touch, a small sigh escaping her as she leaned into Azure's hand with a contented hum.

A few seconds later, Katie stirred from her slumber, her eyes fluttering open to meet Azure's gaze with a sleepy smile.

"Good morning," Katie murmured, her voice husky with sleep as she reached out, removing a strand of hair from Azure's face with gentle fingers. "Ain't you a beautiful sight to wake up to."

Azure's heart skipped a beat at Katie's words, her cheeks flushing with a warm blush as she hid her face in the crook of the older woman's neck. "Shut up," she mumbled playfully, her voice muffled against Katie's skin.

Katie chuckled softly at Azure's response, her arms wrapping around her in a comforting embrace as she held her close, her warm hands tracing soothing patterns on Azure's back. "How we feeling today?"

Azure lifted her head from Katie's neck, her eyes meeting Katie's with a mixture of affection and gratitude. "Surprisingly good," she replied honestly, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "I don't know... it just feels different this time. Like... like everything's finally falling into place."

Katie's smile widened at Azure's words, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears as she reached out, gently cupping Azure's face in her hands. "I'm glad, Aze," she murmured softly, her voice filled with warmth and sincerity. "You deserve to be happy, you know? And if I can help make that happen, then I'll consider myself the luckiest girl in the world."

Azure felt her heart swell with emotion at Katie's words, a lump forming in her throat as she struggled to find the right words to express the depth of her gratitude. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice barely above a whisper. "For everything."