XVI

"Aargh...fuck...." Azure grumbled, holding her head in her hands, waking up from her oh-so-short night of sleep.

Her head hurt from the combination of fatigue and the remnants of the alcohol she had consumed the night before with Katie. Despite the promise of a fun night, things had gotten a bit out of hand, and Azure couldn't help but regret the decision to indulge in one too many shots of vodka.

She sighed heavily, rubbing her temples in a futile attempt to ease the pounding headache that reverberated through her skull. The memories of their impromptu night of revelry flooded back to her, a mix of laughter, tears, and confessions that left her feeling both elated and exhausted.

Turning around in bed, she gasped when she felt something—or other, someone—next to her. Azure's heart skipped a beat as she looked over to find Katie lying beside her, her tousled hair splayed out on the pillow, her lips slightly opened as she remained asleep.

"Shit," Azure muttered under her breath, her mind racing as she tried to piece together the events of the previous night. Had they...? No, they couldn't have. Could they? "Shit shit shit shit shit,"

A surge of panic rose within her, threatening to overwhelm her senses as she struggled to come to terms with the implications of their unexpected proximity. Azure's thoughts raced, her heart pounding in her chest as she desperately tried to remember what had happened after they'd had one too many drinks.

But try as she might, the memories remained hazy and disjointed, like scattered puzzle pieces that refused to fit together. She couldn't recall how they had ended up in bed together, or what might have transpired between them in the heat of the moment.

Suddenly, the urge to throw up overwhelmed Azure, and she stumbled out of bed, her head spinning as she made her way to the bathroom. Collapsing in front of the toilet, she emptied the contents of her stomach, the bitter taste of bile burning her throat as she retched uncontrollably.

What was it this time? The alcohol? Sickness? Or the prospect of waking up next to Katie, unsure of what had transpired between them?

The idea of having cheated on Gabriella, no matter how ridiculous it might seem given the circumstances, gnawed at her conscience, filling her with guilt and self-loathing. She couldn't bear the thought of betraying her wife's memory, even in her drunken stupor.

After what felt like an eternity, Azure finally managed to compose herself enough to flush the toilet and rinse her mouth with water.

When she looked up at the mirror, she almost jumped.

Gabriella. Again.

The smaller girl smiled at her through the mirror, laying her hands on Azure's tense and shaking shoulders. She blinked several times, as if trying to dispel the illusion, but Gabriella's image remained steadfast, her presence a haunting reminder of everything that Azure had lost.

"I-I'm sorry," Azure whispered, her voice trembling with emotion as she reached out to touch Gabriella's reflection, her fingers brushing against the cool surface of the mirror. "I don't... I don't know what's happening to me. I don't know what to do."

Gabriella's smile softened, her eyes filled with warmth and understanding as she leaned in closer to Azure. "It's okay, Aze," she said softly, her voice gentle and reassuring. "You didn't do anything wrong."

Azure shook her head, dismissing her wife's reassuring words. "No, I did. I cheated on you, Gabby. I betrayed your memory, and I don't know how to live with myself knowing that. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Tears welled up in Azure's eyes as she spoke, her voice choked with emotion as she struggled to articulate the depth of her guilt and remorse. She couldn't bear the thought of tarnishing the memory of her beloved wife, of betraying the vows they had made to each other in sickness and in health, till death do them part.