LIII

Azure spent the next few days resting, as the medic had ordered. Despite the concussion, she still found herself restless and anxious. The solitude of her apartment was both a comfort and a curse. It gave her time to think, but it also amplified her feelings of guilt and frustration. She knew she had let herself down, and the weight of that failure pressed heavily on her chest.

On the fourth day, Azure decided she couldn't take the isolation any longer. She texted Beth, asking if she could come over. Beth, always the supportive friend, agreed immediately. Within an hour, she was at her door, a bag of snacks in one hand and a comforting smile on her face.

"Hey, you," Beth greeted, stepping inside and giving Azure a quick hug. "How are you holding up?"

Azure shrugged, stepping aside to let her in. "I've been better. Thanks for coming."

"Of course," Beth said, plopping down on the couch and patting the spot next to her. "So, what's the plan? Movie marathon? Trashy TV?"

Azure managed a small smile. "Anything that keeps my mind off things. And no football talk."

They spent the afternoon watching movies and talking about everything except the fight and the drinking. Beth's presence was a balm to Azure's frayed nerves, and for the first time in days, she felt a glimmer of normalcy.

Meanwhile, Katie was struggling to concentrate on her own routine. Training sessions were a blur, and she found herself constantly checking her phone for any sign of a message from Azure. She had her shittiest game in a while yesterday, almost allowing a victory to Tottenham.

She knew she needed to give Azure space, but it was killing her not to know how she was doing.

After the fourth day of no contact, Katie decided she couldn't wait any longer. She grabbed her keys and drove to Azure's apartment, her mind racing with a mix of hope and anxiety. As she pulled up to Azure's building, she took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves.

Katie knocked on the door, her heart pounding in her chest. After a moment, the door opened to reveal Beth, who looked surprised to see her.

"Hey, Katie," Beth said, stepping aside to let her in. "Azure's in the living room."

Katie nodded, swallowing hard as she stepped inside. She spotted Azure on the couch, wrapped in a blanket and looking exhausted but slightly more relaxed than the last time she'd seen her.

"Hey," Katie said softly, approaching the couch.

Azure looked up, her expression unreadable. "Hey."

Beth cleared her throat, sensing the tension. "I'll... get back home. Viv... hum yeah, see you later," she said, giving Azure's shoulder a reassuring squeeze before slipping out of the apartment.

Katie sat down next to Azure, the silence between them heavy with unspoken words. "How are you feeling?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

Azure shrugged, not meeting Katie's eyes. "I'm okay. Just tired."

Katie nodded, feeling the weight of the distance between them. "I miss you," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

Azure's gaze flickered to Katie's, her eyes softening. "I miss you too."

Katie reached out, taking Azure's hand in hers.

"I wanna be honest with you, Aze. I wanna tell you everything. Why I... why I didn't tell you about Cait. I really want to. Please, let me explain."

Azure looked at Katie, her eyes searching her face for sincerity. The pain and confusion she felt about the Caitlin situation still lingered, like an open wound that hadn't yet begun to heal. Yet, here was Katie, reaching out, offering honesty and an explanation that Azure had longed to hear. She took a deep breath, feeling the weight of the moment pressing down on her.