I

Azure hated being sober.

Her senses enlightened, her eyes focused, her mind clear. It all reminded her of all the shit she had been trying to forget. All the good things that happened to her and that she had inevitably ended up losing.

It reminded her of her.

Plink. Plink. Plink. Plink.

That was the only sound that could be heard in the locker room.

A 10 fucking million pounds facility, and not one fucking soul to fix that goddamn leaking shower.

Azure leaned against the locker, her frustration palpable in the silent echoes of the deserted room.

Then, the door burst open, the sound so loud it immediately made her head hurt.

Katie McCabe entered the locker room, looking at Azure for just a second, her eyes dark. If she could have set the room ablaze with her glare, she would have. Katie slammed her gym bag onto the bench with a force that made Azure flinch.

Katie sat on a bench on the other side of the room, staring at Azure intently, her jaw clenched, her fists clenched, her eyes black.

Azure glanced up at Katie's intense stare, her own frustration mirrored in the clenched jaw and fists. She braced herself for the impending verbal onslaught, expecting nothing less from Katie, who wore her anger like a badge of honor.

But just as Katie opened her mouth to release her pent-up fury, the locker room door swung open once more, admitting a wave of Arsenal women, their laughter and chatter breaking the heavy silence like a sudden gust of wind.

The voices soon enough stopped, when the rest of the girls spotted Azure. Most of the women's gazes seemed to dodge the tall girl's eyes as if trying to ignore her presence.

Kim Little offered her a small smile, that Azure didn't bother returning. The captain would give up on trying to get her to open up soon enough.

A knock on the door interrupted the tense atmosphere of the locker room. All heads turned to see who it was. Standing in the doorway was Coach Jonas, a somewhat friendly expression etched on his face.

"Alright, ladies, gather 'round," Coach Jonas called out, his voice cutting through the tension in the locker room like a knife through butter. He exuded an air of authority tempered with approachability, a rare combination that garnered respect from the team.

Azure straightened up, pushing herself off the locker she had been leaning against, her muscles tense with anticipation. She glanced at Katie, whose expression remained stoic, but the simmering anger was still evident in her stance.

Katie's eyes bore into Azure's, a silent challenge passing between them like an unspoken duel. Azure met her gaze head-on, refusing to back down despite the turbulent emotions swirling within her.

Coach Jonas cleared his throat, drawing the attention of the entire team. His gaze swept across the room, taking in each player with a keen eye before settling on Azure and Katie, the tension between them not lost on him.

"Alright, ladies, listen up," Coach Jonas began, his tone firm but not unkind. "We have a new player on the team, I think you all know her. Azure Rockwell. I would like to extend a warm welcome to Azure as she joins us here at Arsenal."

Azure felt a mix of relief and apprehension wash over her as Coach Jonas introduced her to the team. She had been anticipating this moment ever since she signed with Arsenal, knowing that she would have to prove herself worthy of wearing the club's colors. But mostly, she would have to prove yourself as a decent human being.

Arsenal Women was known as a team that values teamwork and friendship above all else.

Azure wasn't the friendly type. She preferred to keep to herself, her past experiences teaching her that trust was a luxury she couldn't afford.

She was known as two things, amongst the international football sphere; one, the New Yorker with unparalleled skills on the pitch, and two, the shit-stirrer.

Everywhere she went, every club she played for, there was always a trail of controversy following her like a shadow. Whether it was her fiery temper, her refusal to conform to societal norms, or her unapologetic demeanor, Azure had a reputation that preceded her.

And she only knew one woman with anger issues as big as hers, and who spoke her mind as much as she did.

And it was Katie Alison McCabe.

Needless to say, putting both those women on the same team was like throwing gasoline onto a smoldering fire. The clash of personalities, the collision of egos, was bound to create sparks that could either ignite a blaze or fizzle out into nothingness. But Coach Jonas seemed to believe in the potential for harmony within the team, despite the volatile combination of Azure and Katie.

As Coach Jonas wrapped up his introduction, he gestured to the team that they were dismissed.

With a deep breath to steady her nerves, Azure squared her shoulders and grabbed her bag, meeting curious gazes with a steely resolve as she walked to the door.

As she was about to leave, she suddenly felt a hand grab her wrist.

Without a second thought, her mind clouding with rage almost immediately, Azure let go of her bag and turned around, grabbing the girl by her collar "Listen here, you little--" Azure's voice was low and dangerous, her eyes flashing with a mixture of anger and defiance as she loomed over the girl who had dared to touch her. But before she could unleash her fury, Katie stepped forward, her voice cutting through the charged atmosphere like a knife.

"Hey, back off, Azure. She's just trying to be nice."

Azure's grip on Laura's collar loosened slightly as she turned her attention to Katie, her expression a mixture of surprise and frustration. "You don't get to tell me what to do, McCabe," she retorted, her voice dripping with defiance.

Katie held Azure's gaze steadily, her own eyes ablaze with determination. "Don't fucking touch my girls, Rockwell, or I swear to god I'll make sure you regret it," Katie interrupted, her tone firm and unwavering as she stared down Azure, unflinching in the face of her rage.

Azure's jaw clenched as she released Laura's collar, her frustration boiling beneath the surface. She knew she should walk away, and let go of the anger that threatened to consume her, but pride and stubbornness kept her rooted in place.

"Girls, let's calm down, okay?" Kim intervened, her voice calm yet authoritative as she stepped between Azure and Katie, her presence diffusing the tension immediately. She glanced at Azure, her gaze softening with understanding before turning to Katie, her expression imploring for cooperation.

Azure's shoulders tensed as she fought against the instinctive urge to lash out, to push everyone away like she always did. Instead, she grabbed her bag, pushed the locker room door open and fled the training center.

She cursed under her breath, frustration bubbling like a cauldron within her. Why did everything have to be so damn complicated?

She knew. Deep down she knew.

Ever since it happened.

Ever since she happened.

Nothing would ever be the same again.

No more love. No more trust. No more letting anyone in. It was easier that way, safer.

Nothing would change because she had signed for Arsenal. Like nothing had changed when she signed for Barcelona. And nothing had changed when she was playing in New York.

She was done. She knew it.

Everyone did.