XXXVII

Azure looked out the window of the coach, letting out a small sigh.

In four hours, she and her team would land in Alicante for their mid-season camp.

Her first time in Spain since she had left Barcelona.

She wished she could say she had loved her time in Barcelona.

From a career point of view, it was amazing. She won a ballon d'or, won the Champions League, won the league, and several more personal and club distinctions.

But mentally wise, she was at her lowest. She wasn't talking to anybody. Didn't have any friends and wasn't trying to make any, either. She was drunk most of the time, her addiction spiraling out of control. Her days in Barcelona were a blur of highs and lows, victories on the pitch and defeats off it. The city that should have been her paradise had become her prison.

Now, returning to Spain felt like reopening an old wound. The memories of Barcelona lingered, a shadow over her excitement for the upcoming camp. She tried to focus on the positives: the warm weather, the chance to train in a new environment, and the opportunity to bond with her teammates. But the past weighed heavily on her mind.

Her phone suddenly buzzed. She took it out of her pocket.

Katie McCabe: Oi.

Azure frowned, looking up from her phone to catch Katie's gaze. She was sat across from her. She didn't say anything, simply offered her one of her signature smirks, chewing on her gum.

Azure focused back on her phone.

Azure: Hi?

Katie McCabe: you look good

Azure couldn't help but smile at Katie's message, feeling a warm flutter in her chest. She glanced up again, meeting Katie's eyes. There was something about that mischievous smirk that always managed to lighten her mood, even when she was lost in her thoughts.

Azure: You don't look so bad yourself.

Katie McCabe: You're just saying that because it's true.

Azure chuckled softly, shaking her head. Despite her initial apprehensions, Katie had a way of making everything seem less daunting. She allowed herself a moment to enjoy the banter, to let go of the memories that threatened to drag her down.

Azure: What do you want, McCabe?

Katie McCabe: your lips on mine and my hands in your-

Azure blushed instantly, stopped reading immediately, and looked around to make sure nobody could see her screen. When she realized no one could, she looked back at her phone and read the rest of the text.

Katie McCabe: your lips on mine and my hands in your trousers.

Azure felt a surge of heat rush to her cheeks as she read Katie's text. She quickly glanced up, catching Katie's smirk growing wider. Trying to keep her composure, Azure typed back a response, her fingers trembling slightly.

Azure: fucking hell, McCabe.

Katie McCabe: Mh?

Of course, now she was acting all innocent.

Azure was about to answer, when she suddenly felt Katie's foot on her calf, sliding up and up, until it reached her thigh. Azure's breath caught in her throat, her heart racing at the unexpected touch. She shot Katie a warning glare, but the mischievous twinkle in Katie's eyes only seemed to grow stronger.

Katie McCabe: I can't wait to rip that shirt off of you.

Katie's teasing was relentless, pushing all her buttons in the best possible way. She swallowed hard, her mind racing as she tried to come up with a witty response.