XII

The next morning, Azure woke up with a headache, her window wide opened, and no recollection of what had happened to her the night before.

As Azure slowly blinked her eyes open, she was greeted by the harsh light of morning filtering in through the open window, casting long shadows across the room. She winced as a dull ache throbbed behind her temples, the remnants of a pounding headache that pulsed with every beat of her heart.

Confusion clouded her thoughts as she struggled to piece together the events of the previous night, her memories shrouded in a fog of uncertainty and disorientation.

With a groan, Azure pushed herself upright, wincing as a wave of dizziness washed over her in dizzying waves. She glanced around the room, taking in her surroundings with bleary eyes as she tried to make sense of her surroundings.

The sight of the open window caught her attention, the cool breeze ruffling the curtains as it swept through the room. She frowned in confusion, her memory hazy and fragmented as she struggled to recall how the window had come to be open.

She never opened her window. Never even opened her blinds. She liked the darkness of her apartment too much.

Sluggishly, she made her way out of her room. Passing by the kitchen, she noticed her phone, on the floor, next to an emptied-out bottle of rum. That was typically what her kitchen looked like every single morning.

She grabbed her pack of cigarettes from the kitchen counter, lit one up then walked to the living room.

When she entered the room, Azure let out a yell in surprise, spotting Katie sitting on her couch watching TV.

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" Azure demanded, her voice hoarse with sleep and confusion as she stared at Katie in disbelief. She couldn't remember inviting Katie over, couldn't recall any conversation that would explain her teammate's presence in her apartment.

Katie turned to look at Azure, a knowing smile playing at the corners of her lips as she took in the sight of her disheveled teammate. She could see the confusion written plainly on Azure's face, the lingering effects of the alcohol still evident in the way she swayed slightly on her feet.

"Just watching TV, mate," Katie replied, knowing all too well it wasn't what Azure was asking her.

Azure's brows furrowed in frustration as she tried to piece together the events of the previous night, her memory a jumbled mess of fragments and half-remembered images. She knew that something had happened, something that had led to Katie's unexpected presence in her apartment, but the details remained frustratingly elusive.

"How did you get in?" Azure asked, her voice tinged with irritation as she struggled to make sense of the situation. She couldn't recall giving Katie a spare key, couldn't remember inviting her over for a visit.

Katie chuckled softly at Azure's question, her eyes twinkling with amusement as she leaned back against the couch, her demeanor relaxed and carefree despite the tension that lingered in the air between them.

"I burst your door open," Katie replied casually, a mischievous glint in her eyes as she gestured towards the door with a nonchalant shrug. "You didn't answer, so I took matters into my own hands."

Azure's eyes widened in disbelief at Katie's admission, her jaw dropping open in shock as she stared at her teammate in disbelief. She couldn't believe that Katie had actually broken down her door, couldn't fathom the audacity of her actions.

"You what?!" Azure exclaimed, her voice rising in incredulity walking to her front door. Katie had put a chair in front of it to make sure it would stay closed, but the lock was clearly broken, and probably unfixable. "God's sake, Katie! Why would you do something like that? You could've just called me or waited for me to open the door!"