XXV

"How does it feel?" Katie asked, as Azure put her bag down, after entering her apartment for the first time in two months.

It looked different.

Or maybe her vision at the time was biased by darkness and alcohol.

"It's... different," Azure replied softly, her voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty. "I don't know, maybe it's just me, but... everything seems... off somehow."

Katie nodded in understanding, her expression sympathetic as she watched Azure take tentative steps further into the apartment. "It's probably just because you haven't been here in a while," she suggested gently, her tone reassuring. "Give it some time. I'm sure it'll start to feel more like home soon."

"Oh, it never felt like home." Azure replied, sitting down on the couch. Then, she felt something under her and frowned, looking down to see a pink couch pillow. "That wasn't there before."

"Oh yeah, Lotte and I decided to spruce up the place a bit while you were away," Katie explained, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "You know, throw away the bottles, and the smell of cigs. Added some decoration."

Azure couldn't help but chuckle at Katie's explanation, a mixture of surprise and amusement flickering in her eyes. "Well, I appreciate the effort," she said, her voice tinged with gratitude. "It definitely looks... brighter in here."

"You can take it off. If you don't like it." Katie suggested, her tone gentle as she watched Azure inspecting the pillow. "And the stuff in your bedroom, too."

Azure raised an eyebrow at her words, letting go of the pillow and turning around to watch Katie. "What stuff in my bedroom?"

Katie's expression softened at Azure's question, hesitation etching her face. "Just some... pics I took with the girls. To remind you that you ain't alone."

Azure's heart warmed at Katie's words, a soft smile tugging at the corners of her lips as she listened to her friend's explanation. "That's... really thoughtful of you, Katie," she replied softly, her voice filled with appreciation. "I'd like to see them."

Katie returned Azure's smile, her eyes shimmering with warmth as she gestured for Azure to follow her towards the bedroom. "Come on, I'll show you," she said gently, leading the way down the hallway.

As they entered the bedroom, Azure's eyes immediately fell on the photos arranged neatly on the bedside table. Each one captured a moment of laughter, camaraderie, and friendship, the faces of her teammates beaming back at her from the glossy prints.

They were simple pictures. The Australians, laughing together during training, Viv, Beth, and Vic walking Myle, a bunch of faces smiling around a table at Nando's, or even just candid shots of them goofing around in the locker room. But to Azure, they meant everything. They were reminders of the bond she shared with her teammates, the support system that had helped her through some of the darkest moments of her life.

"They're... perfect," Azure murmured softly, her voice choked with emotion as she reached out to touch one of the photos. "Thank you, Katie. For everything."

Katie wrapped an arm around Azure's shoulders, pulling her into a gentle side hug. "You're welcome, Aze," she said softly, her voice filled with warmth and sincerity. "We're all here for you, always."

"If... if I come live with you, can we put these in the living room?" Azure asked softly, her gaze leaving the photos as she turned to look at Katie.

Katie's eyes softened at Azure's request, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. "Of course, Azure," she replied softly, her tone gentle yet earnest. "We can put them wherever you want. As long as they make you feel at home."