thirty-six

last chapter, here we go, friends!

-----------

It's been three days since then, I've stayed inside most of the time.

I got a few texts from Luke about how Ashton was when he saw him. Apparently he's really upset.

Luke has also called me twice but I wouldn't answer. He's probably wanting to know what happened between Ashton and I when we first spoke, since his texts say Ashton hadn't given him much information, and I refused to talk about it.

I love Ashton. And to know he loves me, it's unreal.

I've almost called him four times just today.

I'm now talking on the phone with Britney, trying to tell her what's been happening.

"I told you! I told you he loves you!" She exclaims.

"I'm happy, Brit. I still can't believe this."

"Then what are you doing? Call him! Call him and tell him you love him too!" She yells.

"I'm scared..." I whisper.

"Of what?"

"Everything. I haven't seen him in basically nine months. The first time we see each other after all this time he starts going on about how he loves me?"

"He's saying it so quickly now because he regrets not saying it earlier. He knows he should've told you last summer."

"I don't know..."

"Just go for it! For once in your life, do something that totally scares the shit out of you. Love is terrifying and I know that. But, Em, you've got this amazing guy who hasn't stopped loving you and he's willing to do whatever it takes to get you. I think you should trust him. I know it's hard for you, but I also know you can do this."

"I- I'm going to have to call you back." I tell her, quickly ending the call.

I miss us. I miss everything Ashton and I did, everything we had. Ashton is one of the best people I have ever met. Having him say he loves me, many times, is the best thing ever.

That's when I realize, I can't hold a grudge over him leaving. It happened, but he's here now, he's back and he's willing to give everything to me.

I call Ashton as fast as I can, my heart beating faster and faster.

"Hello?"

"Ashton... I need you to come over. Right now."

-

There's a knock at the door, and I win to open it. As soon as the door swings open I pull Ashton inside, placing my lips on his.

He pulls away, "Whoa, Em..."

"I told you I'd call you if I ever wanted to see you again. You should've expected this."

"I didn't think you'd be ready to make out with me! I thought you thought of more things to yell at me for!" He laughs, pulling me even closer to him.

I chuckle, "Just shut up and kiss me."

-

Ashton and I are cuddling on the sofa, we haven't said much.

"I've missed you so much." He whispers, grabbing one of my hands and intertwining our fingers.

"I haven't stopped thinking about you." I quietly reply.

"Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever see you again."

"Well here I am." I chuckle, looking up at him.

"Emma, I love you, and I know you love me too." Ashton says, a huge smile on his face.

I sarcastically scoff, trying to hide my smile, "I do not."

Even though he's right, I'm not going to give in.

"I know, okay? I'm sorry. Fuck, I'm an idiot and you know that! Now this is the other way around, you're going to be leaving me. But I don't want you to leave on a bad note." He replies. "I want us together, I don't care about anybody else, I need you. I love you, don't you-"

I just press my lips to his to get him to shut up.

His body relaxes as he brings his hands to either side of my face.

I pull away from the kiss, biting my lip.

I smile, "I love you."

"You... You do?" He asks.

"Yes. I love you. I love your smile. I love how you giggle at everything. I love how you hold me. I love how you'd always take care of me. I love how you would try to get me to quit smoking because of how bad it is for me. I love that you would always help me no matter what. I love how we would stay up late doing whatever the fuck we wanted. I love how we would always get drunk. I love how you make me feel. I love every little thing you do. I love every little thing about you. And I know, that I, Emma Matthews, am truly, deeply, in love with you, Ashton Irwin."

He bites his bottom lip, trying to hold back a smile as he pulls me close, slowly pressing his lips to mine.

"I'm so in love with you." He mumbles against my lips. "Please, please be my girlfriend."

"I wouldn't want it any other way." I whisper, tangling my hands through his hair.

"I don't believe this is happening right now. Is this real?" He whispers, putting his hands on either side of my face.

I just smile, and stare at him, taking in how happy he is. When my eyes start to fill with tears, his smile fades.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just happy. I never thought you'd fall for me. You have girls after you all the time, and somehow I'm the lucky one. You've probably been with girls all through the past year but-"

"I haven't been, Em. It's always been you." He whispers, "You're the only one."

I just pull him into a hug and he lets out a breath of relief.

"Everything you've gone through in your life, everything you're still going through, it doesn't scare me, Em. We've got this. I love you, we can do this."

"I love you, and I'm ready to do this. I'm ready to trust you."

---------

hey so I'm going to post an epilogue (maybe two lol I'm not ready to let go of this book) but idk when pls don't leave me yet