fourteen

"So, Emma, I have a question for you." My dad says as soon as I get downstairs.

"Yes?" I ask, scared of what he might say.

"That boy you've been hanging around with. When do I meet him? I don't know I trust him around my little girl." He replies.

"Ashton? He's fine. You don't have to meet him."

"But I do. You two seem really close-"

I groan, "We aren't together or anything."

"Are you sure?" He questions.

"Yes!" I exclaim.

"I still have to meet the kid." He replies.

"Yea, one day." I mutter.

He sighs, giving up on trying to convince me on meeting Ashton.

It's not that I don't want my dad to meet Ashton, it's that my mom will be brought up, and I don't want to tell Ashton about it. I don't want to tell him I'm the reason my mom died.

My phone starts ringing, and I already know it's Ashton.

"What do you want?" I question as soon as I pick up the phone.

"Well, sorry. I was just calling to tell you I'm outside your house." He says.

"What? No!" I quietly exclaim.

"What?"

"You can't. My dad asked to meet you and-"

"I'd love to meet him!" He exclaims, ending the call.

Seconds later there is a knock at the door and I bite my tongue to make sure I don't start yelling at him when I open the door.

"Emma." He smiles, stepping in the house.

I roll my eyes, "I fucking hate you. You're an idiot and I-"

"Emma! This must be Ashton." My dad smiles as he walks downstairs.

"Uh, yes. This is Ashton." I say, putting on my best fake smile.

Ashton holds out his hand and the two shake hands, and I just want to end this as soon as possible.

"Hello, sir." Ashton nods, a smile on his face.

"You don't seem like a bad kid." Dad smiles back.

"Dad, we're just gonna go." I tell him before turning to Ashton and shoving him out the door.

"Hey... I wanted to talk to him." He whines as soon as the door closes.

"No, you don't." I tell him, getting in his car.

"So, it's- uh, is it, um- just you and your dad?" He nervously stammers.

"Yea." I whisper, barely audible.

"I'm sorry. When you were upset the other day I said something about your mum and oh my god I'm an idiot. I-I-"

"Can we just go back to your place?" I question.

He nods, starting the car and driving off.

I sniffle, because the past few days I've felt like shit, and now all I wanna do is think about my mom, how it's my fault.

"Emma, are you crying? Fuck, I'm so sorry." He whispers, reaching out and resting his hand on my thigh.

When we get back to the house and I go straight to Ashton's room, him following closely behind.

"Emma." He calls as I curl up in his bed.

"What?" I choke out.

"What's wrong?" He whispers, climbing in beside me.