Chapter Thirty-Six: Je t'adore

"Have you lost your frigging mind?!" Fonsie couldn't believe what Giorgio had just done, not to mention seeing Lucio's brother inside their bakeshop sitting as if he owned the place, and with Enzo's missing, it all made sense now.

"I'm sorry, okay? I swear I didn't mean to text the guy; everything was just an accident!" Giorgio's explanation came hastily.

"A careless accident," Stefano shook his head. "I'm presuming Lucio has Enzo now."

Giorgio's face drained of color. Glancing outside, he saw Gio waving at him, but he only threw him a glare and shut the door to the back office to avoid seeing his face. "I don't think Lucio will harm Enzo."

"Why?" Fonsie challenged. "Because you made the brilliant decision to bring his brother here?"

"Hey, I said I was sorry!"

"Whatever. You know, Giorgie, I get your intention, but it is not our problem if you haven't had any action since we moved in together, and it's like a desert in there."

Giorgio looked downright offended at Fonsie's words. "You're acting like a child."

"Yeah, I'm a child," Fonsie retorted, lifting his chin defiantly. "But at least I think before I do something I'll regret for the rest of my fucking life!"

"Oh, really?" Giorgio finally snapped, "You're all about that responsibility lifestyle, right? Is that why you gambled our savings away in the pyramid scheme until we could no longer pay the mortgage? Yes, Fonsie, VERY RESPONSIBLE."

"Okay, that's enough!" Tina stepped in between them and pushed them apart before they ended up tearing each other's hair. "This is really not helping. Your issues have nothing to do with Enzo. Now that this has happened, can't we just ask the man where our friend is? We haven't seen him all morning and Alessia has been calling nonstop."

The thought of Enzo's sister not knowing her brother's whereabouts and why he hadn't returned home last night weighed heavily in their conscience. They kept exchanging glances, trying to find answers within the four corners of their office. After a few more minutes of deep contemplation, Fonsie couldn't bear it any longer and was the first to declare, "I'm going out there and ask the devil's brother directly myself!"

Giorgio was aghast, "You? You're the one who sleeps with the fucking lights on, settle down!"

But Fonsie ignored him and strode out of the office and into the shop, strutting his way to where Gio sat, who was casually browsing the menu. But before he could reach him, the wind chime on the door tinkled as it swung open, and emerging inside were Lucio's guards---Nero and Sandro.

Stopping midway, Fonsie's gaze met Nero, who couldn't help smiling widely seeing him again after such a long time.

"Need something?" Gio asked, noticing Fonsie and the rest of the crew following right behind him.

Fonsie cleared his throat and waved off Giorgio's attempt to grip his arm. "Where's Enzo?"

Giovanni stared at him, blinking. Then, he turned to Sandro and Nero, who were both equally unbothered. "Where's Enzo?" he repeated.

Nero pursed his lips and set down the menu. "Can I have a donut?"

Annoyed, Fonsie snatched the menu from his hand. "This is not a joking matter. Enzo's sister is looking for him. He hasn't been home since morning and he also hasn't shown up for work. You guys suddenly popped up here, so amused us all you want but I refuse to believe this is nothing but pure coincidence!"

"No one says it is," Gio grinned back. "And you shouldn't worry about Enzo. You should worry about yourselves."

The four stiffened at the obvious threat, but their apprehension was quickly detected by Giovanni who immediately added, "I mean, you should be concerned about yourselves, since my brother is taking very good care of Enzo."