Chapter 165 Extra

Daily Imperial Examination Matters of the Emperor and Empress (1)

Dayan was the first country to implement the imperial examination system. When the news came out, all the poor people in the world rushed to tell each other and were very happy.

Some people are happy, and naturally some people are opposed to it. The opposition naturally comes from the old gentry families whose vested interests have been harmed. It's a pity that the arm can't twist the thigh. 

Although the current emperor has a reputation for being henpecked and lenient in his policies, his methods are vigorous and resolute. He will never be soft when the iron fist is needed, and he is not like the Liu family of the previous dynasty who relied on these local nobles to stabilize their rule, so after a period of uproar and opposition, it was settled. What's more, not all gentry’ clans jumped out to oppose the imperial examination system. There were also enlightened people who agreed. Among them, the most famous representative was Gao Heng of Bohai County.

Gao Heng came from a famous family, and although he had never been an official, the Gao family was a prominent family in the Bohai Sea. Gao Heng himself was known as the "Crown of the Bohai Sea", and his reputation was known to everyone. Not long after the imperial court promulgated the imperial examination system, when there were many criticisms of this new policy from gentry families all over the country, he was the first to stand up and publicly express his support. Not only that, he was also the first scholar in Bohai County to participate in the first scientific examination.

When the news spread, the entire Bohai County was hotly debated.

According to the detailed examination system promulgated, county examinations, state examinations and general examinations all implement strict naming and marking. Because it is the first subject after the founding of the dynasty, the emperor attaches great importance to it. In order to truly select talents and eliminate fraud, the thirteenth examination in the country in the first department of the state, all academic officials were sent by the imperial court to supervise the entire process. Once any malpractice was discovered, the heads of the officials and scholars involved would be at risk.

In other words, this will be a selection exam that relies entirely on strength. With Gao Bohai's reputation, if he really wanted to become an official, he would not have to take this risky approach to become an official. In fact, in the eyes of others, this move was simply shocking.

Putting aside his willingness to lower his status and participate in the imperial examinations with ordinary scholars, even if he came out on top in the end, it would be just the icing on the cake for him, but if he was eliminated, it would be nothing more than a stain on his reputation.

Gao Bohai's relatives and friends came to persuade him one after another, but he refused to listen. Instead, he was complacent and said with a smile: The new dynasty will eliminate the old evils and everything will be renewed. The imperial examination system is more like the breeze blowing on the face and the orchids on his nose. It shows that the imperial court is eclectic in employing people. 

Since they are among the scholars, they are also fortunate to encounter the benevolent rule of the Qing Dynasty. They should try their best to join the world. How can they cherish your past reputation so much and hold back from moving forward?

This word spread, and no one inside or outside the Bohai Sea was unwilling to bow to him.

Under the influence of Gao Bohai's ‘star’, other noble families also selected their children to show their loyalty to the new emperor. In a short period of time, it became a common practice.

Gao Bohai's words are not only very elegant, but also full of confidence.

He really has such confidence. Not only is he highly talented and proficient in shooting and riding skills, but he also has considerable insights into strategy theory. The county examination and the state examination went smoothly. In the spring of the following year, with the first place in the state examination, he went to Luoyang to participate in the final examination. When the final ranking came out, he and the two scholars were ranked among the top three.