Chapter : 30 - Baarish

"This is for you," I said as I placed the plates on the nightstand and handed her the bag which I bought for her

"What's this?" Uns asked, taking the bag and looking at it.

"Nothing special," I replied while ruffling my hair, feeling a bit nervous—what if she didn't like it?

"Shawl?" She said as she took the shawl into her hands.

"What’s the occasion for getting me a shawl?" she asked, with her old fiery tone.

"Well, the shawl looked good on you that day when I came to meet you," I said softly.

"Oh, really? What else look good on me, Nader?" she asked me while unfolding the shawl and looking at me, while giving the most beautiful smile, which I was longing to see since morning.

"Ab mai kya kya batau ki aap peh kya kya aacha laghta hai Uns, yeh hijab aacha lagta hai, rang bhi rang chudiya joh aap pehen tih hoon aur jab woh halke seh khanak teh hai, woh acche laghte hai, safed rang ka libaas bahut accha hai aap peh, woh aapke nazar seh dekhe hue daisies acche lagte hai. Aur yeh nile rang ka shawl toh pucho mat,.... Ab kya kya bataou mai ki kya kya accha laghta hai aap peh?

(Now, what all should I tell, what what I looks good on you you, Uns? This hijab looks nice, the colorful bangles you wear, and the gentle tinkling sound they make, they look good on you. White clothes look great on you, and the way  you gaze at daisies they look beautiful. And don't even get me started on this blue shawl... Where do I even begin?)

I don't know why, but I wanted to tell her all this, but it came out automatically.

"You're crazy, Nader," Uns said with a smile.

"Yes, I am," I replied with a smile too.

She didn't look at me, but I noticed a slight smile, and her cheeks inexplicably started to turn red.
I felt like teasing her by calling her a tomato, but I didn't want to risk it—you never know when her temper might flare up.

"Do you like it?" I asked as I saw her getting absorbed in the shawl.

"I love it, it's beautiful," she replied with a smile.

"Won't you wear it?" I suddenly asked as I saw her carefully folding the shawl.

"Do you want to see me wear it?" she asked softly.

"Yes," I replied.

She took out the shawl again and started putting it on. The combination of her hijab and now this shawl made her look even more beautiful than before.

"Khush?" she asked with a touch of strictness.
(Happy?)

"Yes," I replied, while laughing. She also started to laugh now.

It was 11 p.m., and I couldn’t stay any longer, but I didn’t want to leave either. What if she did something again after I left? And what if...

"Nader, where are you lost?" Uns asked, while shaking  her hand toward me.