25

The world seemed to cave.

In that moment she couldn't tell reality from perception.

Johnny, the boy that everyone turned to for guidance. Johnny, the boy who ganged coveted. Johnny the boy who cared, had killed a soc.

She pictured her life was a puppet show and how the puppeteer tried everything in their will to screw up her life and life of whom she loved. She would look up at him, searing with anger, and they would just keep calling her name, over and over and..

"Aurora" she broke from her trance and looked to the voice calling her.

"Get the roll of cash from dresser, wouldya?" Dallas asked as he jutted his hand to his dresser.

And so she did and with every dull step, she felt she was sinking into cold and sludgy cement waiting to harden.

"Here" she gave it to him and she sat back down.

"Hey, calm down wouldya' " Dallas eased as he looked at Johnny and Ponyboy quivering.

"Listen, im not dying to tell your brother about this and get my head kicked in" Dallas retorted as he reached the gun he hid in the spare glove box.

"Then don't tell him!" Ponyboy snapped back.

She had never seen Pony so jolted and wired. His eyes buzzed the room as if the fuz was going to break down the door at any minute.

Dallas circled around to the front of the bed and sat in between the toy boys.

"Get the first train to Windirixvill . When you get there, get a weeks supply off food before the-" He took a drag of his cigarette. "-story gets out. Theres a pump in the back, so you don't have to worry about water." He looked around his eyes landing on Aurora.

They held each others eyes for a minutes, and he almost seemed, grateful to have her here. But don't you dare to suggest that.

"Man, I thought New York was the only place I would end up in a murder wrap". he finished.

Before they left, she wanted to make sure she had a final word with them.

"Listen, you can always come back, turn yourself in. Say it was self defense ya know?" She patted them on the shoulder and off they went.

"I know you told them turn themselves in" Dallas said as he took another drag of his cigarette.

"I just don't want the to get hurt"

And with that she sat next to him and took his cigarette.

"I care about them, and I know you do"