CHAPTER 132 - DECLARATION OF THE END

CHAPTER 132 – DECLARATION OF THE END

HIRAYA MISTELTEIN

After the retaking of Kraghelm, the dwarves filled the capital building with jubilant energy. Golden chandeliers cast a warm glow over the festivities, illuminating the night sky as the sounds of the dwarven orchestra reverberated across the island.

Despite the revelry, I couldn't shake the lingering tension of the impending return to the Empire's Sanctuary. I warned my squad against indulging in drinks, wary of potential ambushes in the night. Yet, the allure of the dance floor and the aroma of sumptuous food drew them in, their laughter and movements filling the space with vitality.

Amidst the swirling dancers, I found myself alone, a solitary figure amidst the merriment. Kate twirled gracefully with Mariko, Gaeun matched steps with Earvin, and Charlotte swayed in rhythm with Darlix. They looked radiant together, leaving me feeling like an odd appendage, disconnected and adrift.

With a glass of wine in hand, I wandered to the veranda, leaning against the railing as I gazed up at the starry expanse above. In moments like these, Lysander would usually be at my side, exchanging banter and sharing in the joy of the moment. His absence now left me acutely aware of the void his presence once filled.

The success of the battle to reclaim Kraghelm was overshadowed by a nagging sense of unease. Gazelle Lockwood, the catalyst for the island's invasion, was conspicuously absent. Despite my meticulous planning to thwart him and Eva using the Dragon Lords at my disposal, their absence only deepened my suspicions.

As I contemplated the situation, a chilling realization dawned on me—I was dancing to the tune of the Overmind. With Lysander held captive as their leverage, my hands were tied. Every moment of helplessness intensified the haunting image of him suffering at Gazelle's hands.

Eva's proposition echoed in my mind, dangling the promise of Lysander's release in exchange for allegiance to the Purge of Humanity. Yet, the thought of betraying everything we stood for, of betraying Lysander himself, filled me with a profound sense of dread.

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I weighed my options. The notion of feigning allegiance to Eva and Gazelle crossed my mind, a desperate ploy to secure Lysander's freedom. But I knew Eva wouldn't be deceived so easily; she saw through facades with unnerving clarity.

In the midst of celebration, a battle of wits and loyalties waged within me, each decision fraught with perilous consequences. As the night wore on, the weight of uncertainty bore down on me, casting a shadow over the fleeting moments of triumph.

The sudden halt of the orchestra's music sent a ripple of unease through the celebratory atmosphere. 

Gaeun's panicked expression mirrored the urgency of the situation as he struggled to catch his breath. "Captain! Bad news!" he exclaimed, his voice laced with anxiety.

My heart quickened at his words. "What is it?" I demanded, bracing myself for the impending revelation.

"It's Gazelle Lockwood!" Gaeun exclaimed, his voice trembling with urgency.

Together, we hurried back into the hall, joining the throng of onlookers fixated on the imposing screen. Gazelle Lockwood's visage loomed large, flanked by his formidable dragonoid generals and the imposing figure of Johnny Wolvesbane alongside his orange-haired dragonoid, Meike.

As Gazelle's voice thundered through the hall, his words echoed with chilling clarity, each syllable carrying the weight of impending upheaval. His accusations against humanity, delivered with fervent conviction, stirred a collective sense of foreboding among the listeners.