Chapter 28

On a day of sorrow, who knew funerals could look so splendid? Jennie looked around the place, impressed by how everything looked as though an angel was to be laid to her resting place. Beautiful, sad, but beautiful nonetheless. Riley was no where to be found, and that worried everyone, especially Jennie who had even tried calling and texting her, all to no avail.

She was scared, worried. Because she knew what the loss of a loved one could do to someone. The loss of her mother made her despise her father, so she understood very well how much of a danger Riley was to herself.

It wasn't until the funeral proceedings started, being led by Jude, that Riley showed up. Dressed in a black suit and a matching short-brimmed hat, she looked absolutely ravishing and Jennie couldn't stop her eyes from staring, mouth slightly agape as she watched Riley make her way to the front where her sit was. Jennie was in the row behind her, sitting with the Max, Melody and the rest of Layla's friends while Riley sat on the front row with her family. Her parents as well as Max's parents were also present, but they sat at the far back to avoid the media. Layla's family was not allowed because Riley didn't want them there. But Jude, being the stubborn head she is, invited them regardless. But they sat with the crowd because Riley would not hesitate to shoot them all down if she ever sighted them close to Layla's coffin.

Armed guards littered the place, like in a royal funeral. To the rest of the people, it was obvious that the lady being buried was someone of great importance to the Browns, the mother of their future heir. Now that Jennie really thought about it, Layla really was important, she still is. Baby Lily was said to be discharged in the next two days and Riley had made sure to prepare a room for her arrival.

Everything looked perfect, Riley was perfect. Jennie tried her best to keep her thoughts away from the older woman, really, she tried. But she yearned for her, wanted her, needed her beyond anyone's imagination. Mason had called her earlier on, wanting to be there as her support but Jennie thought it best to not let her boyfriend be in the same space as her ex-fiancée and crush. Crush! Man the word felt so wrong on the tip of her tongue, just waiting for Jennie to spit it out. Her eyes were glued to her like a moth to light.

Lord knows how many times she fantasised of the older woman making love to her, kissing her, loving her. It was wrong, so wrong. But she couldn't help it.

Her friend Mia wanted to be around for the funeral as well but her studies were keeping her too busy. So she sent a heartfelt message to both Riley and her friend, one of them not giving her a reply. It was obvious who that was.

The funeral went on and for sometime, Riley disappeared and Jennie feared that the latter got so overwhelmed that she decided to take her own life. But she later showed up, this time with an army of armed men and women who let bullets colour the sky, motorbikes driving circles around the funeral venue. Such a nice display for the lady Brown, them being the all powerful blood in both the legal and illegal world.

Max stayed next to an emotionless Riley, making sure to not let her out of his sight. He knew her best so he must've sense that she was having negative thoughts.

The day soon ended, the maids and guards clearing up the place as everyone left. The Browns, the McKenzie's, and the Johnsons gathered in the dinner room, the maids bringing them something light to eat. Riley sat next to Max and her mother opposite Jennie. She couldn't eat, so she silently played with her food while the others, excluding Max and Jennie, started a conversation.

"I am happy to see all of us gathered like this, even if it is under such unfortunate circumstances," Peterson spoke calmy, a sad smile on his face. He loved Layla as though she was his own daughter, and really he was looking forward to seeing growth between the woman and his daughter because he really wanted her to start a family for herself.